Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blanco to Lockhart April 7 2012




My tent was set up quite close to the kitchen last night so I was awaken by the banging of pots at 5:30 AM. As I lay there I thought about getting up and going for a run. I have not been able to get myself motivated to go for a run for quite a few days. I did not have any shred of an excuse but I lay in my bed until 6:30 when coffee was being served and everyone was up. I guess I just don’t get this fascination with being up 2 hours before first light.

Today’s ride was 65 miles from Blanco down to Lockhart. The road was the smoothest road we have had since we go to Texas. There was very little chip seal and what there was was so worn that it was not rough. The first 25 miles were quite hilly and there was very little in the way of traffic. What there was of traffic was exceedingly polite stoping behind the bike until they were waved on or they could see. After that we were on much busier roads and the traffic got increasingly less polite. We passed through a couple of towns and traffic was down right heavy. After about 40 miles we were out of the hills and we were sailing along through farms and the ranch country seems to behind us. Although there was a significance wind out of the SE and we are heading East it did not seem to be a factor as there was lots of trees to break the wind.

The high light was having a pie in the Texas Pie Café. You get your own pie in bowel which has a scoop of ice cream on it. There are a lot of different kinds but I had to have apple which is by far my favourite.

Tonight we are headed out to Blacks Barbeque which is a very highly rated Texas barbeque. I am really looking forward to this.

Terry

Blogspot cannot load pictures so I will add them later

No comments: