Monday, March 19, 2012

A Day Off in Catilina State Park March 18 2012





The wind was howling all night long and the tent was flapping away but I was so tired I slept though most of it. However by about 4:30 I became aware that dust was filtering into to the tent and settling on everything. I turned on the light and sure enough there was a fine layer of dust coating everything. I hastily threw everything into my bag and zipped it up.

By 7:30 AM the rain was lashing the tent so I crawled out and Bubba was organizing people to be transferred to a cafĂ© for breakfast. The wind is still howling and it is only 33 F. I have every piece of clothing I own on. I jumped in to a car and we were off. I camped at breakfast as long as I could but finally we had to leave. Four of us took a shuttle over to a neighbourhood mall and wandered though Wal-Mart for three hours and then went to a movie. I saw “Safe House” with Denzel Washington. It was one of the best action flicks I have seen in a long time.

The movie was out all too soon and I was back out in the cold. We stepped out of the theatre and there was Web who is one of the sag drivers so he drove us back to the campsite. I cleaned my bike and cleaned the dust out of my tent. I was quite lucky there as I only got a fine layer some people wound up with almost 0.5 inches in their tent. So I had time for an afternoon nap.

We get breakfast and supper on days off on this tour so after supper Bubba had organized this local radio personality called Cowboy Joe to come and give us a talk. He was an old cowboy whose family ranched the area for at least three generation. He was quite interesting.

The forecast is for continuing cold.

Terry

No comments: