Monday, June 16, 2014

June 15 2014 Everett Wa to Skykomish







June 15 2014  Everett WA to Skykomish WA

I had a tough time getting to sleep last night. I tossed and turned, my pillow is a compression sack with my clothes in it is too big so my head is too high and it was giving me a sore neck and it is too hard.  But maybe I was more than a little concerned about my physical training.  Last time I was on a bike was Feb 27 so 3.5 months without a touching a bike. So I lay there listening to the rain on my tent.

The morning was gray and over cast with a light mist coming down.  I don’t think I have ever been in Seattle when it was sunny so this was no surprise.  I set off with the two Ken’s to the light house where the wheel dip was.  The dipping of the rear wheel in the Pacific is the ceremonial start to a cross country ride. We said good bye to Ken’s son and thanked him for driving us down to Seattle.

The ride out of Everett followed a bunch of back roads for 41 miles before joining up with Highway 2 which is quite busy.  These were very scenic and very pleasant as there was very little traffic.  At the 42 mile mark we had picnic which was excellent as there was a hot vegetable soup which really warmed me up as the cold mist had penetrated though the 3 or 4 lays.

After lunch the sun came out for a while and it was pretty nice and warm.  However my lack of training was taking it’s toll and I was fading fast.  By the time I got to th 55 mile mark I was pretty much all in, so I stopped in and got a coke. Sitting there for 15 minutes and drinking the coke recharged my batteries and I was able to cruise in to camp.   I even got in early enough to get some hot water.     

Surprise it wasn’t raining Skykomish and so I set my tent up and went for a beer.

Terry

No comments: