Thursday, August 11, 2022

Mexico to Watertown NY. August 11, 2022







Mexico to Watertown NY.

August 11, 2022

Today we got to sleep in.  I had doubted that I would really get to sleep in as the tents were quite crowded the campsite. For sure there would be zippers flying and people moving around early.  One of the chronic early risers, who is one of the floor floppers had set his tent quite close to me so I thought for sure he would be up at 4:00 am making noise.  I was quite surprized that the first thing I heard was my alarm which gave me an additional 45 minutes of sleep. 

It was 5.5 miles down to breakfast which was in this quaint little restaurant.  It was also something Greg had to arrange at the last minute.  However it was excellent.  Lots of crisp bacon and excellent cornbread muffins.

I rolled out with Aussie Bob and we were making good time when a third rider came up behind me.  I couldn’t see who it was as Bob was between us.  I tried to drop the Klingon off but couldn’t, so I started to Earnie him and drop him off the front.  I got all the way down to about 12 mph when first water came up.  As we pulled into water I found out that it was Ed W.   The three of us had a good laugh at dropping people off the front.

Picnic was at 38 mph and came up pretty quickly.   It was in a beautiful waterfront park right on Lake Ontario. Sackett’s Harbour was an important harbour for US forces in the war of 1812.  It has a good natural harbour and was a major ship building point.  Unfortunately things didn’t work out so well for them.  As part of special activities in the park you could get shot out of a cannon.  It was a blast.   

With only 15 miles into camp the three of us stopped at Tim Hortons and had a donut and coffee.  We still arrived too early and had to help unload luggage. 

Tom R was first in to the school and spotted a washing machine and dryer in the custodians work shop area.  Bob was planning to head down to the laundry and I had given him my stuff.  Tom motioned us into the work shop area and the three of us quickly and quietly dumped our stuff into the washing machine.  When the custodian came around we overheard her telling her team I want this door closed so that no one else uses my machine.  Tom and I sent Aussie Bob in to use his Australian accent on her thinking that would work.  Bob came out smiling and she even put it into the dryer for him. 

What a fun day.  Getting to ride with Ed, having a Tim Hortons coffee and donut, getting our laundry done, getting the tent dried out, and having a great conversation with my friend Mike from Colorado. 

Strava says it was 54.28 miles and 1831 feet of climb.

Terry 


 

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Great story about trying to drop Ed off the front. I am sure he will remember that! You three were lucky that Bob's charm saved your laundry.
Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

How many times have you been shot out of a cannon? This looks like a little cannon. I remember you being shot of a much bigger cannon in France.

Just catching up on the blog.

Calgary Ken C.