Sunday, August 7, 2022

Port Dover to Niagara Falls August 6, 2022








Port Dover to Niagara Falls

August 6, 2022

As I crawled out of my tent I was greeted with a shower of water. Not from rain but from the all of the condensation on the inside of the rain fly on my tent. Absolutely everything was soaking wet from the heavy dew.  Not that is was that cold but that the humidity was close to 100% from the all of the rain which had fallen over the last few days. 

As I rolled up my tent I realized that luggage loading had been moved up by 15 minutes so by the time I got all my gear packed up I was the last to load luggage.  Not that it was all bad it meant my bags would be on top at the front and not squashed under thousands of pounds of other luggage. As we had to ride the 5 miles into town to get breakfast it meant I would be last to get my breakfast. 

After breakfast Bob was just rolling off and I thought I would ride with him today.  He was off and I was only about 2 minutes behind him.  So I hustled along to catch him.  I hit a red light and was further back.  I rolled around the corner and there was a drawbridge opening so I was even further back.  On a bike the closing speed is only 1-2 mph so it takes forever to catch some one who has a 10 minute head start, so it too me 28 miles to catch up with Bob and then it was at first water. 

The rain clouds of the past few days were breaking up and by 9:30 we were under bright blue sky with only the odd puffy white cloud hanging around.  The course was following the shore of Lake Erie and was lined with holiday cabins with the odd huge mansion set back from the shore.  Although the road was far from perfect Bob and I were not speeding but just rolling along enjoying the ride.

The route turned inland and we arrived at picnic at the 56 mile mark.  It was still just 10:30 so there was no rush so I tanked up on all of the fresh fruit which was there. The peaches and blue berries were delicious.

After picnic Bob was on the hunt for a coffee and around the 69 mile mark we came to a bakery where Bob got his latté and I got a piece of carrot cake which was easily 5 inches on a side and 4 inches high. 

The route took us down to a little ferry which was really just a pontoon boat which was used for the local bike route. It was a fun diversion to the daily ride. 

After the ferry the scenery went downhill as we were coming into the back side of Niagara Falls and were going through a lot of light industrial areas. Traffic wasn’t bad though as it was Saturday. 

We are staying at the KOA which is a long way from the craziness of the falls area.  Greg has secured a huge tenting area and it is a thousand times better than when we stayed here in 2018. 

I was glad to finish the day even though it was only 76 miles and 1200 feet of climb as it was getting towards 90F.  I was also glad that tomorrow is a rest day.

Terry  


 

No comments: