Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Frankenmuth to Memphis MI Aug 03, 2022







Frankenmuth to Memphis MI

Aug 03, 2022

The trip to Frankenmuth really has two highlights. The first is the plated chicken dinner at the Bavarian Inn in the evening and the second is the breakfast across the street at Zehnder’s.  At one time it was just the one family who owned the Bavarian Inn and made the chicken dinner famous. However infighting in the family resulted in part of the family going across the street to start Zehnder’s. Both are lavish places serving great meals. This morning we got  a great breakfast the highlight was cinnamon bread French toast.  It was a great spread. 

After breakfast was over Ken and I rolled off down the road together. The route ran almost straight east for 50 miles before turning south for 19 miles and the south east for 10 miles.  I mention this as there is a howling wind of 20 mph gusting to 30 mph out of the south. Even though we have this tremendous cross wind you can still make reasonably good time. Ken and I are cruising along at around 15-17 mph when Kevin comes up behind us and says jump on. So we got on his back wheel and he put the hammer down.  Kevin pulled us along for around 30 miles at speeds of up to 25 mph.  Needless to say picnic which was at the 48.8 mile mark came up really fast.  I didn’t take any pictures as I was just trying to hold on.  Thanks Kevin. Great pull!

After picnic Ken and I started down the long straight road straight into the wind. It was really hard work. Even taking turns pulling the best you could do was about 10-12 mph.  Needless to say I was glad to make the turn and get the wind as a quartering head wind for the last few miles.

When I got to Memphis I rolled on into town before going to the school where I got a half gallon of chocolate milk which I shared with Barry. 

Tonight we have thunder storms forecast.  Should be a fun night in the tent. 

Terry 


 

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Pretty countryside. Lash that tent down good! Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

What about the other Frankenmuth highlight; Bonners Christmas Store? Been there, done that I guess.

Good or bad food can really make or break your day.

Keep up the good work.

Calgary Ken C.