Thursday, August 4, 2022

Memphis MI to West Lorne Ont. August 4, 2022








Memphis MI to West Lorne Ont.

August 4, 2022

Last night we had one heck of a thunder and lightning storm.  The flashing went on for close to an hour and several of the lightning bolts were quite close.  The rain followed but it was a nice gentle rain and it went on for a long time.  It was really nice lying in my tent listening to it.  I was off to sleep in no time.

I was really glad that it wasn’t raining this morning. Rolling up a wet tent is one thing but rolling up a tent in the rain is a totally other thing.  The temperature was close to 75F and the humidity was close to 100%, so it was really sticky.  Pulling on bike bibs was a real struggle, especially in a dark tent.

It was 30 miles down to the ferry which would take me across the river into Canada.  The Michigan roads are so rough and broken I thought I would never get down to the ferry. When I rolled up to the ferry dock there was just Kevin and myself, however before the ferry arrived another twenty or more cyclists pulled up.  At $3/bike the ferry made good money on that trip. 

Once into Canada on the other side I was thinking this would take forever to process all the cyclists as there was only two officers who had hand held devices.  However in less than 5 minutes everyone was checked through and we were on our way. 

The group of riders were just hammering down the road so I followed along.  This brought picnic up at the 60 mile mark in no time flat.  We arrived before the lunch special was ready so, a quick wrap filled the bill.  After picnic I rolled out with Tom R.  He is great to ride with as Tom always has great stories to tell and as a rider he is a total freight train.   Once again I owe Tom a big Thank You for dragging me along. 

I noticed that a lot of the barns seem to have what looks like quilt squares on their sides.  Must be some sort of local secret society.

About 6 miles out we stopped for a snack as the luggage van had not passed us and there is no use going to the school with no luggage.  I ordered the side of fries which was a huge basket of really hot crispy fries which were nice and salty. They really filled the bill.

Strava made the day to be 90.43 miles with only 571 feet of climb.  Great average speed of 16.0 mph.

No rain yet but there are a lot of black clouds around and the forecast looks wet.

Terry 


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tom Ryan is on Cycle America! Wasn’t he just in Alaska and Sicily and Israel and Baja and New York, leading those trips? He must ride 12,000 miles a year!

Anonymous said...

If everyone had their ArriveCan app properly tee'd up, entry should be pretty quick. It's like the Canadians knew you were coming!! Welcome to Canada. Trust you're being a good Canadian host.

Those quilters show up everywhere, don't they!!

Calgary Ken C.

Agnes said...

Welcome back to Canada! Sounds like a pretty good day. Love the photos of the quilt blocks. You could always stop at any quilt stores you see and ship fabric home to me! Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

You're almost home! Canada isn't all that big, right? You could stop at home for a quick pb&j