Thursday, August 18, 2022

Stowe to Littleton August 18, 202






\

Stowe to Littleton

August 18, 2022

There was a huge tropical depression off the coast which was threatening to bring heavy rains in land.  This put a lot of pressure on everyone to get down the road before the down pour started.  I had bunked into the Commodore Hotel with my friend Ed W last night. What this meant was that luggage was being loaded out at the campground and the hotel luggage second, so we stood there watching the campers ride past us as we stood waiting on the luggage van to arrive.

There was no organized breakfast this morning so I had picked up a couple of granola bars and coffee from the room worked just fine for a quick breakfast.   With luggage loaded I was down the road in good time.  It wasn’t far before the first turn took us off the main highway and down a back road. About a mile later the big grinder hills started, some of which topped 13%.  I passed three riders who were walking.  Thankful for the 34 by 34 gearing on my bike.

About half way up the first hill was Jim from South Carolina. He looked just terrible. I stopped to see if he was ok.  He said he was even though he didn’t look it.  Later on I would find out that he was taken to the hospital with pneumonia. After pumping him full of antibiotics he was released but has gone home. So close to finishing and now he is out. OUCH!   

At picnic mother duck had brought here brood of ducklings up to catch some food from the riders. They were so cute.

When I got into Littleton I headed strat down to Chutters which has the longest candy bar in the world or at least that is what the sign says.  I had been dreaming about getting $20 worth of licorice all day   and they have the best licorice.  I was so dispointed to find that they are closed on Wednesday.

The school where we were staying is at the top of a 16% grade. What a grind!.  I hurried to set my tent across the street in the yard of some friendly neighbors.  I have set my tent there every year when I have done C2C.   As we were on our own for supper, a  few of the riders were heading downtown, and I tagged along.  Ade the English fireman was there and I insisted on buying pizza.  It was great!  John picked up some beer as we were not on school grounds and back at camp we had a few beer before the rain started.

The day turned out to 74 miles with 5300 feet of climbing.

I was so glad to get in and set up before the rain started.  

Terry

 


 

No comments: