Thursday, August 11, 2022

Seneca Falls to Mexico NY Aug 10, 2022







Seneca Falls to Mexico NY

Aug 10, 2022

Originally we were supposed to go to Oswego however the accommodations cancelled two days before we arrived so as you can imagine Greg W was scrambling to find a place for us to land.  A tall order when you are looking for lodgings for 100 people.  What was finally found was the Jellystone Campground in Mexico NY.   Population of about a half a dozen and we were 4 miles out of town.  It was also 20 miles further than originally scheduled.  I was ok because I had taken the short cut the day before and now an 83 mile day was fine. 

The day started off quite damp and humid.  The tent was soaked with dew.  While not anything new it just means that I roll the fly up separate from the tent and put it in a plastic bag.  Everything else just feels damp.  Sleeping bag is the worst as it is just clammy.  It isn’t helped by the fact that we haven’t seen the sun this week.  It looked like another day of dodging the rain squalls.

As I headed down the road I realized how much good yesterday’s short cut had done for me. Instead of feeling draggy with dead legs, I felt strong and energized.  I left breakfast about the middle of the crowd and before I knew it I was passing people one after another.  Even groups  who were normally faster than me were falling by the way side.  It is really emerging to come up and bark at a rider as you pass them.

As I approached first water I had caught our English fireman who is one of the fastest here.  Barking loudly I scared him.  It was great. 

About 5 miles out of picnic it started misting and I thought It is going to rain so I stopped and put on my rain coat.   Sure enough just as I zipped up my coat is started to rain.  However as the rain saw that I had fooled it, the rain stopped about 0.5 miles later.

When we were about 8 miles out of camp I got within about 500 yards of the English fireman but couldn’t close on him.   Then Kevin came out and said Let’s get him, jump on.  Kevin can really turn on the power, and before I knew it we were at 25 mph.  We flew pass our English fireman with the barking just flying, scaring him twice in one day. 

For supper we were shuttled into the Oswego University cafeteria.  What a meal! On the menu was NY steaks. They were done perfectly.  They were so good that I went back and got a second one.  Best meal on the tour.

On the way back to camp a couple of us told Matt who was driving that we need to make a pit stop at a gas station.  Matt pulled in so that we could use the washroom.  I came out with a 30 pack of Bud.  Back at camp where we were having riders meeting those who wanted a beer got one.  It was a real treat for the group.

Tomorrow is a really short day so we get to sleep in 45 minutes.  Yahoo.

Happy Birthday to Agnes.

Terry  


 

2 comments:

Peter Diotte said...

Terry - your pass by barking is truly remarkable. I’m honored you flew by me barking a few weeks ago on segment 6. I first looked for a dog. You got me!

Agnes said...

Thanks for thinking of me. Good day, and beer too!