Monday, August 8, 2022

Niagara Falls to Geneseo August 8, 2022








Niagara Falls to Geneseo

August 8, 2022

I was pleased that the promised rain for this morning had held off.  I was able to roll my tent up without doing it in the rain.  In fact it wasn’t even wet.  A little damp as the humidity is really high but I guess it never dropped below the dew point.  The sky was looking pretty dark and threatening so I had my rain coat and shoe covers in the trunk on my bike.  

Breakfast was in the same restaurant as last night’s supper so it was down the road to breakfast.  It was a good meal with blueberry pancakes.  I rolled out of breakfast and headed for the border.  The route took us downtown and past the falls.  The area near the falls is always so busy it is hard to get a picture as there are so many people, however at 6:20 Am there was nobody around.  We rolled down along the main part of town and crossed the Rainbow Bridge to the border crossing.  There must be 30 entry ports but only two were open and there was almost no line up the whole process took less than 5 minutes. 

The route through Buffalo was the same one we used in 2018 and it was such an improvement over the 2014 route.  The Buffalo streets are notoriously broken and rutted but the route avoided the worst of the streets. I think we were at mile 30 before we were clear of Buffalo. 

Once out in the country we were on little used country lanes and the pavement was surprisingly good.  I think that a lot of work had been done since 2018 when as I remember the roads were are broken.  Picnic was in a little park at mile 44. 

After picnic we still had 40 miles to go and we were into the big roller hills on New York.  I know some call them roller coaster hill as you can power down one and then charge up the next. However these were far too big to do that.  These were go as far as you could and then down shift to your lowest gear and grind up them.  My Garmin regularly showed 13% grades.  On one downhill I hit 43.66 mph.  

Rolling in to Geneseo I had 84 miles with 2700 feet of climb, and never got rained on.

Terry

 


 

2 comments:

Judy Teague said...

Beautiful photos of the falls!
The collage of the riders looks great!

Cynthia Owen-Bergland said...

Just like the ribbon road in Missouri.. one of the toughest parts of my XC