Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Jackson to Dubois July 4 2022











 Jackson to Dubois

July 4 2022

After a late (7:00 AM) breakfast I rolled out of the Science Center with Tom R. We were  headed for Teton National Park.   After cruising through the center of Jackson, which was getting ready for their 4th July parade we headed north. We rode the path way to Teton National Park.  The Tetons are right there in your face. They are so beautiful it is no wonder that there were crowds of tourists everywhere. 

Tom and I stopped in a lot of places to take pictures and to take in the beauty of everything.  We had a perfect day with cooler temperatures and blue sky and a slight wind out of the west.   Before we knew it we were at picnic which was at the 53 mile mark. 

With the Teton Park well behind us, I headed for the climb of the day which was a 17 mile climb to 9600 feet and the Continental Divide.  By now the temperatures were in the 80’s and it was a long 17 miles to the climb.  I stopped at the half way lookout to look back over the climb.  This is something I have never done on any of my previous rides.  It was an absolutely stunning view of the valley and you see the Tetons in the far distance. 

I was really glad to reach the summit and to fill my water bottles at the water stop which had been placed there.  As I stopped my bike computer speed sensor fell off.  Both of the zip ties had failed. How does that happen.  Fortunately I had some zip ties in my bike bag and was able to fix it.

The down hill was a fast ride and the remaining 28 miles intp Dubois went quickly aided by what has now become a very good tail wind.  Never the less it was a long hard century and I was exhausted.  The official mileage was 98 miles and 4860 feet of climb.

Being the 4th of July the fireworks were plentiful and all along the butte which runs along the north side of town had a tremendous fireworks display.  Even though I was totally beat I had to crawl out of my tent to watch the display.

Terry 


 

5 comments:

Agnes said...

Great pictures!

Anonymous said...

I remember a downhill tailwind into Dubois and holding 25 mph hardly pedaling.

Calgary Ken C.

wendeth1 said...

breathtaking scenery

Anonymous said...

Wow. Spectacular scenery.
Chris

SLCompulsion said...

Terry these are the best photos you've captured yet! Missing riding with you all, especially this day ;-(

Cheers, Mike & Mimi