Tuesday, July 5, 2022

Dubois to Riverton July 5, 2022







Dubois to Riverton

July 5, 2022

Today the forecast for Riverton was 91F.  Way too hot for this Canadian.  So I decided to blow breakfast off.  This gave me an hour and a half jump on the day.  It was a great decision.  I was on the road at 6:15 Am and there wasn’t a vehicle on the road.  It was only about 46F with a good tail wind out of the west.  I cruised down to breakfast at the 39 mile mark in no time.   In fact I was the first one into picnic and the staff was still setting up when I got there.  I gobbled down a sandwich and a few treats and was pulling out of picnic at 9:15 am, with only 43 miles to go. 

A point of interest just out of Dubois is the National Museum of Military Vehicles.  It looked really interesting as they had quite a few tanks on display outside in a covered pavilion and a really large modern facility.  I would love to stop in and visit it.  

The first half of the ride had been primarily downhill but the second half was long rollers.  The tail wind had dropped off and the day was getting hot.  The route took the tour off the highway and into the hills but then came back to the highway in town.  So I just stayed on the highway shaving 6 miles off.  I wound up with a 77 mile day and 1480 feet of climb.

I rolled into our destination with the fellow who rides a recumbent and is the fastest rider on a flat ride by a wide margin.  There was nobody here and the school was locked up.  As it was just noon, I decided that I needed to find lunch.  So I rode downtown and found a wonderful little family place. I had their bacon cheese burger on the special toasted bun.  They kept filling my ice tea glass and I kept empting it.  I must have drunk a gallon and a half of iced tea.  When I did wander out I saw a sign which gave the temperature as 88F.  It was sweltering. 

It should be a nice night in the tent as the forecast is mid 50’s. 

What a great day.

Terry  

PS:  remember to check todays YouTube video 
 

2 comments:

Agnes said...

Keep hydrated! Great when a plan comes together! Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

Spectacular scenery. Good talking to you today. You have found a relaxed routine hitting the road early and arriving first. No drama, but way to go.