Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Custer to Rapid City July 13, 2022













Custer to Rapid City

July 13, 2022

Today was one of the most scenic rides on the tour as we were riding the Needles Park  highway.   A person wants to get out and on the road early on this ride as the actual Needles formation area is quite small and you want to get there and get a few pictures before the hoards.  To this effect I was on the road at 6:45.  However, I wasn’t the only one with this in mind as there was a long line of riders in front of me.  I managed to pass quite a few of them on the seven mile hill to the Needles Park summit.  When I got to the summit area there was only 3 other riders there.  So we had fun taking lots of pictures.  It is a really unique and pretty area.  In all the other years I have seen mountain goats around the summit but not this year.  Later on other riders reported seeing goats. From the Needles Summit it was a wild ride down the other side.  

Although I did not see any goats a few miles further on there was a huge male buffalo walking down the highway.  There were no oncoming cars so I went into the far lane and gave him a wide berth.  What a magnificent animal.  

 The climbing wasn’t done as the route turned into Iron Mountain Nation Forest.  At the turn there was a sign which said Rapid City 22 miles. As I was only at mile 29.2 of 71 and facing a 12 mile climb up Iron Mountain, ends in a series of really steep switch backs, it was really tempting to just head on into Rapid City.  However I did make the turn and started the big grind up hill.   It was a big grind and about half way up you get a glimpse of Mont Rushmore. From the summit down the other side are a series of one lane tunnels and “pig tails” where the road loops back on its self.   The route takes you right to the base of Mont Rushmore. However, it is a long steep hill to the visitor’s center and as I have done it three times before and the temperature was pushing over 95F I didn’t make the turn to go see Rushmore. 

I rolled in to picnic at 11:45 and from picnic is it was only 24 miles down to Rapid City.  I thought it was going to be easy but there was a lot of new chip seal with loose rocks and newly tarred chips seal. TO say it was ugly would be an understatement. 

I rolled in to Rapid City and found a Safeway where I purchased a half gallon of chocolate milk.  It was great. 

Garmin registered 69.64 miles and 5213 feet of climb.  I guess that qualifies as a tough day.

Terry 


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Spectacular pictures of trails and tunnels. Your past three days have been world class under clear blue sky’s. Way to go.
I can’t imaging what you will do carrying a scrapbook of 250 pictures. Enjoy.

Anonymous said...

Certainly this day of the tour has a lot of highlights. That buffalo's hide and coat look so good, he almost looks like someone's pet; a well groomed gentleman.

Calgary Ken C.

Agnes said...

Wow, great pictures! Scenery, Mount Rushmore and a buffalo. I agree with Ken, the buffalo looks very refined. My initial reaction was that he was a fibreglass creation that would belong outside of an old drugstore, like Wall drugs. Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

Tough day IS an understatement… you are a tough guy tho 😂
Wish I was there.. Cynthia