Friday, July 29, 2022

Beaverdam to Plymouth July 29, 2022









Beaverdam to Plymouth

July 29, 2022

Because we were staying in the dorm at Wayland Hall, we were able to get an extra half hour sleep this morning. Although I was awake before the alarm but lying-in bed for the extra 10 minutes was great. The extra half hour was possible as I didn’t have to pack up my tent.  All I had to do was schlep my bags downstairs.

As I rolled out of the Wayland campus, I couldn’t help wondering about how privileged the kids who got to attend the place.

I was rolling along pretty well at about 17 mph when I looked behind me and watched the peloton coming at me. There must have been a dozen riders bearing down on me at 8 or 9 mph faster than I was going.  I thought about pulling over so as to not get run over but they were on me before I could get off the road.  As I watched I couldn’t help but thinking there was an accident looking for a place to happen. Probably half of the riders in the group had no group riding experience.

The wind was quite favorable out of the NW at around 10-15 as we were heading generally east.  Although that is not entirely true. The route was so convoluted and had a million turns.  Every half to three quarters mile there would be a left or right turn. So sometimes you would have quartering head wind make a turn and have a howling tail wind.  You would just get on a nice road and then turn a corner and head down a road with was so broken that it would almost be cobble stones. 

At one point in the ride there was a Canadian goose just wandering down the road.  It never flew away as I rode past. 

We are now in the part of the country with the large white steeple churches.  There seem to be quite a few prime examples scattered about.

Tonight, we are staying in Plymouth Wisconsin which declares itself the cheese capital of the world.  They even have a 30-foot-high statue of a cow.   Maybe it is as there are dairies everywhere.  The town is very pretty as there are some very nice murals on a lot of the town buildings. 

I rolled into town just after 12:00 noon with a mileage of 67.4 miles and 2500 feet of climb. It was a very good day with perfect weather and favorable winds.

Terry  


 

3 comments:

Agnes said...

Sounds like a great day. What a typical Canada goose, figures she owns the road! Another hot one here today. Ride safe.

Anonymous said...

Wisconsin is the dairy state, hence the nice, paved back-roads.

Speaking of accidents, any riders out from crashing or suffering overuse injuries?

32C in Calgary right now. Enjoy the ride.

Calgary Ken C.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the biking wi well under control and the biggest challenges remaining include bad meals and noisy tent neighbors. You have done well with the Atlantic Ocean starting to come up on your radar. Way to go.
Jim H