Thursday, July 28, 2022

Baraboo to Beaver Dam July 28, 2022







Baraboo to Beaver Dam

July 28, 2022

I had a tough time getting to sleep last night.  Some people had set their tent up quite close to mine and then they sat out talking until around 10:00 PM when I finally called out that quiet time was 9:00 PM.  They then went off to bed but by now my sleep cycle was broken and I was unable to get off to sleep.  I remember looking at the time around 1:30 Am. When the alarm went at 5:15 it seemed awful early. I would have given anything to turn over and go back to sleep however that wasn’t on the list of things to do.

Breakfast wasn’t too bad considering the supper last night but then the meat loaf wasn’t as bad as it looked either.  The heaps of crispy bacon made up for a lot.

Out on the road it was a 65 mile route with a pile of hills giving the route 2790 feet of climb.  At mile 4.3 the route took off to Devils Lake State Park.  I was with Ken T and one look and we both continued down the highway to pick the route up 7 miles later cutting 3 stupid miles off.   Barry who had left before Ken and I looked really surprised when he rolled up to the ferry and found Ken and I waiting for the ferry at Lake Wisconsin. We had a good laugh.

The ferry ride was only about 20 minutes but it was a fun diversion to the day.  I have always contended that all bike rides should have some rain, some wind, a meal at a gas station and a ferry ride.  Finally got the ferry ride.  The lake was beautiful and the houses lining the lake were extraordinary.

I had caught up to Aussie Bob and when he missed the turn into picnic it took me a couple of miles to get him stopped and turned around.  So, gave up my short cut miles. 

After picnic it was only 25.7 miles into Wayland Academy where we are staying. This was topped with a howling tail wind.  A person could easily do 18 mph going uphill with almost no effort.  I rolled into town and picked up some bike cleaning supplies as my bike was really dirty after the unpaved bike trails yesterday. 

The Wayland Academy where we are staying is a beautiful old building which has been totally renovated and modern.  Barry organized laundry got a position in line.  I finished cleaning my bike grabbed laundry and threw it in with Barry’s.   Bike cleaned, laundry done, blog written, and a dorm room to sleep in, just doesn’t get any better.

Terry

  

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry Terry, but you did not cut off “3 stupid miles”. You cut off the most beautiful miles of the ride in exchange for a section of highway I do my best to avoid (and these are my stomping grounds). Your loss.

Agnes said...

Ride safe

Anonymous said...

An added bonus if the crispy bacon, some rain, some wind, a gas station meal and a ferry ride all happen on the same day. Nothing like a stale gas station apple turnover when the tank is empty with another hour to ride.

Thanks for the great memories of 2014. Keep up the good work.

Calgary Ken C.