Sunday, July 1, 2018

June 29 2018 West Yellowstone to Flagg Ranch












Tom R had phoned me back in March to ask me if I would consider riding through Yellowstone with him instead of riding with the tour through Ashton.  This would give me two days of rides which I have not done as I have always stayed with the tour and ridden from West Yellowstone to Ashton and then on to Jackson.  This route would take us through Yellowstone and then on to Jackson with an overnight at Flagg Ranch.  I immediately accepted as this would give me two days of rides I had not done and it has been a long time since I had been through Yellowstone. 

Tom had also invited a couple of other riders along as he had booked a very large room and there were roll-away beds available.  Auzzie Bob had booked a room at Grant Village and he had another rider with him so this made six of us who were taking a detour through the park.   Tom had sat down and prepared cue sheets for us so the six of us headed off to breakfast and a quick rider meeting. 

The weather forecast looked grim whether we were going through the park or staying with the tour so it looked like we were in for a soaking no matter which way we went.  As we were headed out Ed pulled up with a full van full of roof riders (people who were taking van rather than riding their bike, so called as the bike is on the roof).   It wasn’t raining right now so how bad could it be?

Tom’s directions worked perfectly and we were at the West Yellowstone Gate in a couple of minutes.  A ranger waved the bikes around the lineup and we paid our fees and were down the road.  We are not 3 miles down the road and it starts to hail.  There are a couple of claps of thunder and then it really started to pour so we pulled in to a pullout and pulled on the heavy duty rain gear.    A mile or so later we spotted three bison nursing their calves in a meadow.   We hurray on as it is pouring rain and we have over 70 miles to cover. 

A mile or so later Bob goes down with only a minor scrap over the bridge of his nose where his glasses hit him.    Tom, Mike and I are in front of the crash and we press on to Old Faithful geyser.   We don’t see any other animals all the way into the Old Faithful lodge which is at the 33 mile mark.  We get hot chocolate and warm up and dry off a bit in the lodge while we wait for the rest to show up.  Finally they show up to our great relief.  There is a brief pause in the down pour and a couple of rays of sun and Tom hustles us back on the road. 

We still have three summits to climb and 43 miles to cover.   We are not down the road a mile when a huge clap of thunder hits and the hail starts anew.  A few minutes later hammering rain follows the hail.  As we start the first climb my front derailleur hangs up and will not shift and I am stuck in the largest front ring of my triplex.  After several frustrating minutes on the side of the road in a very narrow, steep, and busy section, I get the bike in the low gear and start the grind up the hill.  I am miles behind by now and every passing car motorhome, bus and truck is a 10 gal pail of ice water thrown on my back.   After what seems like forever I reach the first summit of 8262 feet where the rest of riders are waiting.  Having my bike stuck in the smallest front ring and only the rear derailleur working I am limited to about 18 mph  so I am soon lost by the rest of the riders on the decent following the first summit. On the climb to the second summit it is another huge grind but not quite as large although it is at 8391 ft. 

We pass a large road cut and round a bend there is suddenly blue sky. The rain lets up and we have the sun warming us.  We are now at Grant Village and have only 20 mile to cover.  The last summit is at 7988 ft so not much of a grind.   I have figured out that I can shift my front derailleur if the chain is in the center of the rear cassette. 

The last 15 miles from the third summit is all a huge decent into Flagg Ranch and with my bike back in gear I cruise at 30+ mph into Flagg Ranch.  

Supper in the Flagg Ranch is marvelous. I feast on a huge cut of Elk and Bison meat loaf. 

What an adventure!   A total 76 miles and 5600 feet of climb.  Tom, you really out did yourself.  Thank you.

Terry.

2 comments:

Merrilynne said...

Way to go Terry..enjoy your blogs and the scenery!

Pino said...

Holy..... I think I would have been a roof rider ...