Sunday, July 29, 2018

July 28, 2018 Plymouth to Manitowoc and Ferry to Ludington









Greg our tour leader calls today the longest shortest day in Cycle America.  It certainly is the longest day even though it is the shortest ride of the tour.   You are up at 5:00 am and luck to be in bed by 10:00 Pm. I thought it would be a great day to ride Fran’s cycling kit as this day kind of marks a turning point in our journey. We are only a few miles short of 3000 miles, and have only 3 weeks left.  It is also a psychological point as now the end is clearly in sight.

After breakfast I rolled out of camp with Auzzie Bob.  It was a really nice morning with bright blue skies and a great riding temperature of 65F.  The first nine miles were down a paved bike trail which was very nice.   From the bike trail we took a bunch of side roads which had almost no traffic. 

I have been having trouble with my bike computer turning off or resetting itself.  When I saw a Piggly Wiggly I ducked in to get new batteries.  Get the batteries then find out I need a tiny screwdriver to open the computer.  So ride on without a computer.  I was quite surprised when first water appeared.

It was only half a mile up to Whistling Straits golf course which is supposed to be one of the top 10 courses in America so we went in for a coffee in the club house. It was a fabulous spot. They brought in mountains of sand to build all of the dunes which course is built on.  This was our first view of Lake Michigan. 

After coffee we only had 19 miles up to picnic and the end of our ride which was at Kathy Wojta’s house where she was hosting our picnic.  What a magnificent spread of food had been prepared by Kathy.  There was everything from homemade pickles to homemade cinnamon rolls. I made sure that I filled up on all of the treats which were laid out.

Then it was hurray up and wait for the sailing of the SS Badger which is a coal fired car ferry which runs from Manitiwoc across Lake Michigan to Ludington. The ferry was launched in 1954 and is a national historic monument.  This is a 4.5 hour journey.  Ken had purchased a couple decks of cards and Bob and I sat down to play a few games of cribbage.  It was quite enjoyable way to pass the time and I enjoyed giving Bob a few lessons.  The voyage could not have had a nicer day with brilliant blue sky, warm temperatures and perfectly calm lake. 

Once in Ludington, I jumped on my bike and made a bee line for the motel.  I wanted to get down to the motel and get in front of the check in line.  Ken was right behind me and we were the first to check in.  The Viking Arms is an older family run motel on the edge of Ludington but a very comfortable place with a friendly staff.  It is just a perfect place for a rest day.

After checking in Bob, Ken and I walked across the street to a local dinner for dinner.  I don’t think the waiter got very much of the order right but the food was just what we needed. 

Set the clocks forward one hour as we are now in a new time zone and it was bed time by 10:00 PM.



Terry hot biker 

No comments: