Thursday, July 12, 2018

July 11, 2018 Custer to Rapid City









Today was probably one of the prettiest on the entire tour.  I have heard it referred to as one of the top ten riders in the US. 
Ken and I rolled out together and were quickly into the climb up to the Needles Park.  What an interesting and unique place.  The needles are weathered out granite.   When we got to the first stop in the park there is a little tunnel and in side was a family of mountain goats.  The daddy goat posed very nicely for us and bleated for us as we took his picture.   Rolling through the park Ken and I were amazed at the beauty.
The road continued on down form Needles where there was a huge bull Bison grazing beside the road. He barely looked up when I stopped to take his picture.    A little further we came up to a group of mountain sheep which were on the highway.   A ranger came by and blew his horn and chased the sheep off the highway but as soon as he left the sheep were back on the highway. 
After a huge climb of 12 miles we got to a view point where you could see Mtn Rushmore.  It is a very impressive site.  The big decent down to the base of Mount Rushmore has these very unique road features called pig tails where the road curves around under itself.   Sailing though the forest was great.
When I got to the base of Mount Rushmore I did not do the climb up to the monument.  I have done it twice and a third time did not seem necessary.  Instead Ken and I stopped and marvelled had the huge lines of t-shirt and trinket shops which line the streets.  The real America.
Picnic was at the 47.7 mile mark in this beautiful little park.  Jim had made this risotto to which he had added salmon.  It was great.  I am certainly going to try and recreate this when I get home.
The last 15 miles were down this freeway into Rapid City. It was horrid hot and the wind which has been out of the south has turned 180 degrees and is howling into our face. The cars are not giving us an inch.  The best that Ken and I can do is about 6-8 mph.  It took us almost 2 hours to get into town.  We found a Sonic where Ken treated us to slushies.  Thanks Ken I really needed the ice.
I was so bushed that I fell on my cot and was asleep almost instantly.
For those into the numbers it was 70 miles and 5500 feet of climb.
Terry hot biker


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the Needles highway to be a great ride.

Canada Ken C.

Agnes said...

Fabulous pictures Terry, ride safe.

Agnes