Tuesday, July 10, 2018

July 09 2018 Devils Tower to Lead







This morning ride started from the KOA at the base of Devils Tower where we had our rest day.  It was 10 miles into Hewlett where the folks who had a hotel for the rest day were.   As Ed and I rolled through town I had fun barking at the hotellers who were lined up for their breakfast outside the local café.   I also was able to scare one of the new sectional riders with some loud barks. 
 It was kind of hilly as we rolled along but it was generally downhill for the first 50 miles and the wind which was out of the south was not a factor until around 10:00 am and we were headed almost due east along a not too busy highway.  It had a good shoulder and Ed and I made good time.  So Ed and I reached picnic at around 11:00 which was at the 50 mile mark.  With only 40 miles to go we were in excellent shape.
After rolling out of picnic the road turned straight south down this four lane concrete freeway.   The wind had picked up considerably and was straight into our faces.  We had about 15 miles to go down the concrete freeway to the town of Spearfish.  The best we could do was 7-10 mph taking turns pulling into the wind.  The temperature in the meantime was close to 90F but out on the freeway it was probably over 100F . I spotted a tree lined drive way and we pulled in a sat down for 10 minutes. It took over 2 hours of hard grinding to get down to Spearfish were we turned into the Spearfish Canyon.  
Ed and I pulled into a Safeway and drank a half gallon of chocolate milk and got a little AC.  While there we searched for a shorter route into Lead and the only route was down the freeway which would have saved only 2 miles. 
We pushed on up the canyon which was a very pretty ride up through this twisted canyon.  However as it was a constant 3% uphill grade with almost no shade and a constant head wind.  At this point we are making 8-10 mph.  I stopped twice to dunk my head in this stream which is flowing alongside of the road. It was tremendously refreshing but the effects were only short lived and had decreasing effect.
The top of the canyon we are greeted by a 2.7 mile climb of 7%.  Ed and I stop for a coke to recharge.  Time has worked against us as it is now close to 3:40 Pm.   We push off and I make about 2 miles before the tank is empty and I have to walk the last 0.7 miles.  The descent into Lead is welcome however the wind grabs at the bike making it kind of skittish.   A deer runs out right in front of me and stops. I yell out as I am doing about 30 mph on the descent.  The deer sees me and bolts out to of the way. 
I arrive in Lead at 4:45 pm making the total time on the 10 hours to cover 90 miles and 5800 feet of climb. 
I am too exhausted to post my blog or eat supper.  I fall asleep during rider meeting and crawling up the 89 stairs to where the tent is all I have.
It kind of reminds me of this quote “ We choose to do this not because it is easy but because it is hard.”
Terry hot biker

5 comments:

Agnes said...

Tough day, chin up.

Agnes said...

Great longhorn shot...

Anonymous said...

Terry, you skipped supper? If I remember correctly from 2014, supper in Lead included an unidentified "processed meat product".

Keep up the good work.

Canada Ken C.

Anonymous said...

That is correct, Ken. I was eating dinner with Sue, who is a vegetarian. She asked what I was having and I told her I did not have a clue, but I told her that even though she was a vegetarian, I thought she would have been pretty safe eating it. In addition, there was no “pudding”, so all of us went to the store across the street and bought ice cream.

Coming out of Devils Tower, did you have trouble with the “road snakes” like in ‘14? Thanks for bringing back the memories, Terry.

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to sign my last comment.

Later, Earnie