Tuesday, July 31, 2018

July 31, 2018 Farwell to Frankenmuth







Today’s ride started with a continuation of the Pere Marquette Trail and was a total of 82.1 miles, with only 510 feet of climb. This makes today the lowest climb day of the tour so far. 

Bob and I rolled out and onto the trail.  I had worn arm warmers as it was only 58 F this morning.  On the trail we cruised along at 18-20 mph as the trail was perfectly smooth and there was no wind.  As the trail was easily 15 feet wide we rode side by side exchanging stories of heroic deeds we had performed.  The end of the trail at Midland which was at mile 35 came up pretty fast so we stopped for a coffee in the town. 

After coffee we were on a combination to busy and back roads all of which were really rough.   The last 5 miles into picnic were absolutely bone jarring.  We thought were doing pretty well but when we checked in at picnic we were close to the last.  I guess everyone passed us while we were having coffee. 

After picnic which was at mile 44 Bob wanted to go into Bay City to see some naval ship yard..  There was also a marine museum there which had a destroyer similar to the one Bob served on.  So I rode the last 38 miles to camp by myself.

The route after picnic consisted of 19 miles east and 19 miles south.  By now the wind has picked up out of the East so I have to face into the wind.  About 10 miles later I entered Bay City.  I would have liked to take some pictures but the road was so rough and busy I didn’t dare reach for my camera. In fact I didn’t even look around I was just concentrating on the road and traffic.  Dodging holes and broken pavement between pickup trucks and semi-trucks was a full time effort.  

After I made the corner and started south the road got a little bit better and was almost as good as the roads in Bulgaria, where I broke three water bottle cages from the constant pounding. The wind also came around a little to the North East giving me a bit of a tail wind. 

Upon reaching Frankenmuth I found an ice cream parlour and had a very nice soft serve cone.  I figured I deserved it.

Tonight is the plated chicken dinner in the Grand Hotel downtown.  This is one of the best meals on the tour and I have been looking forward to this meal for the last couple of weeks.  Yes it is that good.

Terry hot biker


2 comments:

Jim said...

THis bike trail looks absolutely fabulous. I could get into cruising this all day, which it sound like you were able to do with exception of a busy end segment. Clear sky’s, cool temps, flat and calm...doesn’t get much better than this.😎

Unknown said...

You're riding through some beautiful country now. The chicken at Zehnders in Frankenmouth is the best. I' m not far from you tonight (95 miles) as I'm in Sarnia for my mom's 90th birthday. Good riding tomorrow.