Friday, July 6, 2018

July 6, 2018 Buffalo to Gillette.







Ed and I rolled out of camp this morning and were headed down the road by 6:55 Am.   It was already 73F with the promise of hot and hotter. 
The normal route to Gillette had construction on it so we were rerouted on this other road.  This had the effect of increasing the millage to 102 miles and giving us 3557 feet of climb .  The only redeeming part of this was the road was very quiet and had a very nice surface.
The route had three legs the first was about 35 miles in the NE direction and had a very slight downhill trend, the second was about 30 miles in the east direction and was quite rolling and the last was about 37 miles in the SE Direction with a lot of rollers each one taller than the previous one.
Down the first section Ed and I were just smoked it making 20+ mph.  We passed several riders and picked up Greg B and the three of us took turns pulling.  It was quite a bit of fun rolling along.  By the time we turned the corner on to the second section our speed dropped considerably as we were now climbing a lot of rollers.  The wind had now started to blow from the SE at about 5-10 mph.  It wasn’t really a factor but was now a quartering head wind.  We reached picnic at the 50 mile mark. It was in a gas transmission station yard as there were absolutely no facilities along the way.  No shade and the temperature was well into the high 80’s.  Ed had been having problems with his bike throwing the chain so he had one of the mechanics have a look at it while at we were at picnic. The mechanic took one look and told Ed his rear derailleur hanger was cracked.    This ended Ed’s ride. 
I felt pretty good and as it was only 10:30 I was pumped.  So I set off towards Gillette.  The wind has now picked up and the road has gotten steeper. By time I got to the 65 mile mark and turned SE the wind has picked up to around 15-20 mph and is straight into my face.  The rollers are now 250- 300 feet.  I can ride down the hill at around 15 mph and grind up the hills at 6 mph.  It is going to be a long grind into town. 
As I grind along at about the 75 mile mark I notice that I am getting a heat induced headache.   By the time I get to the 80 mile mark I am having trouble focusing.  At the 90 mile mark the van comes by and I jump in.  I would have liked to finish the century today but it wasn’t to be.  Auzzie Bob’s bike computer which has a temperature gauge showed that it was 110F on the highway.
Tomorrow is officially 68 miles into Devils Tower, however I am going to take a short cut and shave 5 miles off the route. 
Terry

1 comment:

Jim said...

Hang in there.