Wednesday, August 8, 2018

August 8, 2018 Seneca Falls to Oswego NY










 
Today’s ride of 77 miles and 3190 ft of climb was primarily front end loaded for the climb. So when Ron came and said he and Graeme were going to take a straight shot down highway 20 which would bypass about 40% of the climbs and meet the route at mile 28 and save about 3 miles I at jumped at the chance to join them.  While missing three miles was no big deal cutting all the climbs was pretty good. 

The three of us set off and made good time.  They are stronger riders so I had to work hard to keep up and then my turn at the pull was a challenge. We got a little off course and pulled into look at maps. A car pulls up and a local rider jumps out of the car and gives us expert advice which was dead on.  Very cool!   In no time flat we were up the road to the route and in a little town called Skaneateles where we were going to have coffee but the shop was lined up out the door so we rode on.  Ron and Graeme dropped me on a hill and so I was on my own. 

At the 37 mile mark it was spitting rain so I pulled into a gas station for a cappuccino. The lady in the store said she recognized me from 4 years ago when I was though. After dusting off the cobwebs I did remember her as well. Another rider was looking at the weather on his phone and it looked like a huge storm was on its way.  Sure enough it really started down.  Then Ron and Graeme rode past as they had taken a wrong turn.   I drank the cappuccino and had a second and by then the storm had passed and I rode off to Picnic.

At one point I came around this corner a little fast and went down in some loose gravel. Unfortunately there was a giant tractor right there which ran over me.  Fortunately I escaped with no broken bones but it did hurt quite a bit.

Picnic was in a very pleasant park beside a lake in a little town called Baldwinsville.  The mayor was out greeting the riders.  Pretty interesting fellow and we had a good conversation.  The weather is really looking iffy and huge black skies are surrounding us.  The weather radar has a huge thunder storm descending on us so I rode off.

With 30 miles to go I had to hurray, but only got a couple of miles before the rain started and it just kept getting harder and harder.  With 20 miles to go the rain was just hammering down and the thunder was rolling over head.  Irish Mike and I rode together for a bit and I took a selfie of us.  With about 3 miles to go the rain stopped and the sun came out. 

In camp I got my tent set up and then one of the sectional riders came and set with 10 feet of me.  And this is in a field which is 500 feet on a side.  So I moved.  

We now have only 9 ride days and less than 650 miles to go.  Unbelievable!

Terry


















3 comments:

Peter Diotte said...

Those damn sectional riders (weeklings) :) Terry we are kindred spirits, I would of moved too. Gave me a good laugh. Hang in - end is in sight.

Anonymous said...

Good thing that was just a little tractor!!

In looking at my notes from 2014, I see that in Baldwinsville, the local constable came to picnic to greet everyone; this year you were upgraded to a visit from the mayor. Great that they did this.

Enjoy the ride.

Canada Ken C.

Agnes said...

Just caught up on the last few days, you have had some great rides. Selfie pic a keeper, although I am never sure how you keep the rubber side down when you do that! Coming into the home stretch, looking forward to picking you up at the airport. Ride safe.