Tuesday, August 14, 2018

August 14, 2018 Plattsburgh NY to Stowe VT








Last night we were in the dormitory for the New York State University at Plattsburgh.  The dorm had no AC and the rooms were well into the 90’s with close to 100% humidity.  Ken and I were in a slow cooker pot.  I decided to set my cot up and sleep on the floor rather than on the bed as it was cooler and I could put my cot with my head right under the window.   AN unexpected consequence of this was every time I moved it made all the little feet of the cot click on the floor and it sounded like a giant centipede running across the room. I never heard it but it disturbed Ken.  Sorry! I had no idea.

There was a giant storm forecast for 1-1.5 inches of rain during the next 24 hours with thundershowers after that.    Most of the riders and staff had booked a room in Stowe. Ed and I had a room but a couple of weeks ago I gave my bed up to Bob as his cot broke and his air mattress would not fit in the tent.  Ken and Don grabbed the last room so I was left to camp.   By 6:00 Am it was starting to rain pretty seriously. However it was still quite warm with temps in the mid to upper 70’s.   I decided to take but not wear my rain gear. It rained for about 15-20 minutes but by the time we got to the ferry which would take us across Lake Champlain it had stopped.

After the ferry it was about 35 miles up to lunch so Bob and I rode along under very heavy clouds which were slightly lighter off to the east.  No rain yet.  The road was tremendously twisty and narrow with a lot of rough broken up sections.  Although there wasn’t much traffic what was came really close and was quite unnerving as you could not see them coming, then suddenly there was a vehicle right beside you.  There were a lot of really sharp hills some of which approached 17% grade.  Most of the climbs were well under a half mile but you still had to grind up. 

When we got to picnic which was at the 43 mile mark, it was decision time.  The route took us over Smuggler’s Notch which was a 9 mile climb with grades up to 15% flowed by an 11 mile decent into Stowe with grades up to 16% and very rough and broke pavement according to the router.  It was probably a 2 plus hour grind up the hill and 40 minute decent into camp.  The alternative was to jump in the van and ride around the long way into town which was 25 miles.  At this point you could not see the mountain as it was total encased in heavy black clouds.  When it started to rain Ken’s ankle started to hurt, Bob’s backside needed looking after, Ed had had enough, and my desire to get camped before a major rain event, took over so the four of us jumped in the van with Vicky behind the wheel.

In Stowe the modellers were dropped off and I made to the campground and got my tent set up.  The big storm seems to have passed us by and we are living in the 10% chance of no rain.  There are still lots of big heavy looking clouds so we could still get a shower or thunder shower later but the blue sky is pretty nice. 

I kind of regret not riding up Smugglers Notch but then being in camp and it isn’t like I don’t have enough miles in.  

Only four ride days left.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I recall, there was a forecast for an epic rain/thunder/wind event when we were in Stowe in 2014. I set my tent up on the hill so if the lowlands flooded, I would be okay. Several folks offered to have me stay on the floor in the rooms they had booked, but I camped anyway. Big nothing-burger, did not even rain, much less storm. Hope you have the same luck.

Only 4 riding days left, continue to use your head and be safe.

Later,
Earnie

Jurg said...

I could handle the 16% downhill, but how do you get up a 15% climb??? well done!!!
You have paid for the van, so use it! well done, was perhaps your last chance ?!?
I know well that it is a strange feeling when it comes to the end of a long INTENSIVE journey!
enjoy, it is almost done
Jürg

Anonymous said...

We drove Smugglers Notch last summer (in a car), and the downhill would have been a challenge; steep with lots of curves.

Canada Ken C.