Monday, August 6, 2018

August 6, 2018 Niagara Falls ON to Geneseo NY










Today’s ride was routed for 83.6 miles with 2710 feet of climb; however there was a construction detour on the route which was not there yesterday when Ed and I routed it. This detour added an additional 1.4 miles making the day 85 miles.  The miles are not the story of the day though.  The story is really the heat, humidity and thunder storms.

Luggage loading was scheduled for 6:45 Am this morning as breakfast was not until 7:00 am.  I handed my luggage in at 6:32 am and was the very last to load luggage. I just don’t get it.  Anyways, I left the KOA where we were camped and rolled down to the Best Western where we were having breakfast and stood around with everyone else until breakfast was served at 7:00 AM.

 Auzzie Bob had his phone stolen yesterday in a café. He turned around to get a stir stick and in 10 seconds his phone was gone. So Bob had gone off to Walmart to get a new phone and I was on my own.  

From breakfast it was down to the falls to take the obligatory photo and then roll across the Rainbow Bridge to US Customs.  Being early morning the line was short and the US Customs officer was just scanning passports and waving cyclist through. 

The ride through Buffalo was interesting glimpse into a much grittier side of America than we have been seeing.  Pots holed streets, run down and abandon buildings, giving way to shuttered industries.   This was a short glimpse however as within 10 miles we were out in suburbia and beautiful country side.

Picnic came up at the 43.4 mile mark and I filled up on Jim’s cucumber salad which was great.  He says the secret is Japanese vinegar. He also had radishes in it which gave it an interesting tang. I am going to have to try this on my cucumber salad when I get home.

The heat and humidity had been building all day.  It had been in the 80’s since 10:00 am however by 12:00 am it was really hot. I was at about the 50 mile mark when a gas station came up and I knew that ¾ water was at around the 63 mile mark so I thought I should supplement my hydration with a coke.  The owners were really nice and we chatted while I drank my coke and cooled down in the AC.  They said that the temperature on their little weather station said 93 F but with the humidity the heat index was 104 F.   I don’t know how heat index is calculated but it sure was hot. 

I could see the thunder clouds building as I got closer in to Geneseo.  At about the 70 mile mark the first big rain drops were coming down so I ducked into a driveway which had a bunch of big trees.  Just got off my bike when the sky opened up and down came the rain.   After 5 minutes it had let up so back on my bike.  I could see that about 1 mile up the road was getting hammered and I could hear the thunder.  By time I got there it had moved on down the road.  The rain had taken a bunch of the heat out of the system but the black asphalt was steaming.  It was a very strange effect and I had caught Irish Mike and he had never seen anything like it either.  We followed the storm all the way into camp.  I grabbed my tent and put it up as fast as I could.  Just as I threw the last bag in the rain started again.    I was probably one of the few riders who never got soaked.  Everyone is coming telling horror stories of being caught. 

I guess I could have bragged about conquering todays hills but I will leave that for tomorrow when we have 5000 feet of climb and 94 miles.   

Terry

5 comments:

Jim said...

I am back on line after a great visit from two daughters. I managed to ride with 10 yesterday. Today was a record high of 114 deg and will ride tomorrow.
Your ride today was memorable with Niagra Falls, Trump’s America, steemy roads, and surviving a big storm. Sounds like the home stretch is starting to appear on your horizon.
Keep it up and enjoy😊

Anonymous said...

Another big adventurous day Terry. Always enjoying your blog and wish I was there with you. It brings back lots of great memories - about a time when eating a super sized ice-cream and drinking a quart of chocolate milk daily didn’t have an adverse effect on the waistline! Enjoy the last week! Stay dare and ride well!

Jos

Gail said...

Our ride Sunday was really HOT with high temps, as Jim commented above, for the day at 114. We cut the ride short. However, we don't have humidity levels like you are experiencing. To quote Jim Schuler "It's not the heat, it's the STUPIDITY!"
That area in Buffalo you described is notorious for being a wreck, better to get through it quickly.
Sounds like you dodged the rain and - great job!

frandy said...

Terri, what day are you projected to finish and where. Ken and I are riding in Amherst this weekend. Not sure what your schedule is like. You are doing amazing! My hero.... Sandy

Jurg said...

Congratulation Terry, well done!. You benefit from your experience and act smart! Others just get wet ☹
You are right, tomorrow looks like «the big one» this week. But somtimes the condition have an even biger influence than the tour figures. For many riders today tourned out worse than expected, So I hope that tomorrow’s ride will become a positive surprise.
Jürg