Sunday, August 5, 2018

August 5, 2018 Rest Day Niagara Falls Ont





Today we had a rest day in Niagara Falls.  I had gotten busy yesterday and did my laundry and cleaned my bike on Friday so the chores list was pretty short.  Sleeping in was the number one thing on the list, however the KOA is really busy and there was a lot of noise so I was wide awake by 5:20 am and by 6:00 am the lying in bed was done.  I got up and went for a quick shower before they got lined up. 

When I got back to my tent Ed was just getting ready to go routing for the day over to Geneseo NY.  Hey why not jump in with a good friend and see the other side of the game and how our routes are created every day.   Having seen Niagara Falls twice and having no need to take the boat ride to base of the falls or endure the madness of downtown Niagara Falls on a civic holiday, this was a great opportunity.  Ed was happy to have me along so off we went.

The routes are laid down using the route sheet which has been used in prior years and up dated by Dan’s special computer software.  He produces these highly detailed maps which have no more than 4 miles per page.  The router car then drives the prescribed route putting down the arrows at every turn and at important intersections.  Detailed notes are made of every potential dangerous spot any construction site or railroad crossing.   Seeing how the process worked was very educational. 

We came to a construction zone and we walked it.  We came to potential bike path and walked it.  We drove a couple of alternative routes and selected the best one.  It was fun being the navigator on the route.

Once we reached Geneseeo where tomorrow’s camp is we went downtown and had a very nice lunch in a local diner. I had the liver and onions dinner which was absolutely excellent. 

I learned something about the tour and how it works.  Getting to spend the day in an air conditioned car was very relaxing.  It was a great day with visiting with my good friend. This evening we had an excellent meal in a very fancy restaurant, which was terrific.   The week coming up is only 469 miles so about 50 shorter although there are a couple of big climb days. 

Not much for pictures today as I didn’t want to spoil tomorrows pictures of the falls.

Terry

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Having the day-off chores done early, there was no better way to spend the day off than with Ed, laying down Monday's route. Niagara Falls on a long weekend; been there, done that, don't need to do it again. Clearly, Monday's ride to Geneseo has been "Terry pre-approved"!!

Enjoy the week ahead; lighter mileage, but heading into the Adirondacks.

Keep up the good work.

Canada Ken C.

Unknown said...

Good day to have off. It was pretty hot and humid today in southern Ontario. Good riding tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to spend a rest day. I am sure Ed appreciated the company as well. Just as a frame of reference, I visited the Niagara Falls when I was about 6 years old and have a picture of me standing above/in front of them. Comparing it to now it looks pretty much the same as it did 60 years ago! So I don't think you missed anything by not staying behind and visiting the falls along with half the population of Ontario!
Keep up the good works on the Blog, I do enjoy reading it each evening.
Later,
Earnie

Gail said...

Sounds like a cool and enjoyable day, that is until you got to the liver and onions part - bleh! You lost me right there.
You are getting close to the end - what an adventure! Stay safe.