Wednesday, August 15, 2018

August 15, 2018 Stowe VT to Littleton NH









Last night after we got back to the campground which was a mile out of Stowe the highway department set up a night paving operation on the highway right beside the campground.  They had huge work lights and all night long we were treated to the beeping sounds of backing up equipment and the rumbling and banging heavy equipment.  As the night fog settled in the work lights and equipment took on an eerie look of some sort of secret military operation or some such thing out of the movies.

Today’s ride was 75 mile and 4750 feet of climb so there were a three larger climbs and a lot of smaller climbs.   It was a very heavy fog in the morning so I put on my safety vest and made sure all of my flashers were turned on.  I rolled out of the camp round with four other riders down to breakfast as a group with the idea that a group of four would be more visible. 

Breakfast was in the motel were most of the riders and staff stayed last night.  It was a pretty good breakfast so Bob and I kind of lingered a bit waiting for the fog to lift a bit. As a result we were close to the last to leave.  

The first 25 miles disappeared pretty fast so we stopped for coffee in a little town.  Just as we stopped it started to rain.  So we lingered over coffee.  In 25 minutes it stopped and we rode on.  The first big climb of about 5 miles was right after coffee and about 2 miles in it started to drizzle again.  I decided I would be wetter with the rain coat on than without it. However when I got to the summit and started down the rain got heavier and I was forced to stop and put the rain coat on.  The rain continued all the way into picnic at mile 38.   I could see the blue sky behind the rain cloud so I just hung around picnic and sure enough it cleared off and Bob and I continued on our way. 

The second big climb of the day put us in a little town called Peacham which was founded in 1776.  It consisted of half a dozen houses and a huge white New England still church which was even further up the hill so I didn’t ride up to it. Bob and I stopped and had a drink of water and large work truck passed us.  I commented I was glad to be off the road when it passed us. From there we were treated to a 10 mile downhill which was a total blast.  It had a couple of little rollers in it which I crested easily and a bunch of fast down hills.  Close to the bottom I caught the work truck and passed a speed zone sign which flashed that I was doing 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. 

We left Bernie’s home state of Vermont and entered New Hampshire.

With only one more, big climb of the day to go we had about 17 mile to camp.  About half way up was a gas station so Bob and I pulled in and got a cold drink.  It was really refreshing.  The last few miles were put behind us and into camp.

The school we are staying at it 0.2 miles off of Main Street and those 0.2 miles are the steepest miles on the entire tour. 

In 2014 it was pouring rain and Earnie and I were the only two campers who set their tents up across the street in a neighbor’s yard with Ed’s invaluable help. This year it is chock a block with tents.

Only three ride days left.

Terry hot biker

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on the blog after being away for a couple of days. Lots of BC wildfire smoke in Calgary.

In 2014, on this segment, it rained hard all day. Still glad I floor flopped that night to give you and Earnie some extra space!!

Enjoy the last few days.

Canada Ken C.

Unknown said...

Just getting back to your blog after my trip East. Pretty smoky in Cagary today - not good for cycling. Ennjoy your last few days. Good riding tomorrow.

Jurg said...

Interesting blog again, thanks. One thing I still do not understand. Why does it rain every day??? Are you on the wrong route?

But know I know why you could not cyle in the desert states: you would miss the rain;-)

4750 feet of climb and 75 miles! well done, no shortcut Terry ;-)

I am sure you will finally get a wild card for the Tour de France or the race across America! (not for the Giro d'Italia, you have done this already in 2011)

If you allow, I will pray that the rain stays away the next three days
Jürg