Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Townsend to Ennis June 29, 2022









Townsend to Ennis

June 29, 2022

Today was routed at 76 miles and 3480  feet of climb so it seemed like a rest day.  I had wanted to get down the road as quick as possible today as there was a horrific head wind forecast for the afternoon.  That didn’t quite work out the way I had planned. 

Breakfast was really really good with eggs benedict and so I wound up hanging around and over eating. Then I realized I had forgotten my helmet and had to ride back to the campground to get it. Beginner mistake! The wind wasn’t a factor in the first half of the morning and I a made good time however it was such a beautiful day I stopped often to take photos.  I just love the Montana “Big Sky”  Huge  vistas with a backdrop of snow-capped mountains.  At the 35 mile mark I came to the Montana Wheat Bakery and could not ride past so I went in and had a cinnamon bun with apple carmel icing which was 10 inches in diameter and 3 inches thick.

After picnic the wind as forecast came up and I had thirty miles of 15 -20 mph head winds.  The big climb of the day was about 10 miles out and it was a real grind.

The best part is we are in the Ennis high school which is absolutely beautiful and the showers are so nice. Tonnes of hot water.  Great camping. 

Tomorrow is another rest day of only 72 miles and 3250 feet of climb. 

Terry     


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Terry, the riding sounds quite memorable thus far. I remember the great cherries in Washington state and the huckleberry shakes in MT. And the U of M, I recall, had great food. But not as good as Dartmouth! Of course by then we were practically eating each other! Richard scoffed at your ages and said he would like to do it again next summer for his 84th birthday. He could easily accomplish the riding, but getting in and out of the tent would be a huge challenge for him!

Agnes said...

Great pictures. Eggs Bennie? 10" cinnamon buns? Sounds like gourmet fare! Ride safe!

Anonymous said...

Hey Terry. Great blogs with Big Sky scenery and perfect weather. You have found your grove. Anxious to hear what you do about Yellowstone. May be a good year to bypass it.
Jim H

Anonymous said...

I stop at that Montana Wheat bakery on my way to ski at Bridger Bowl (Bozeman) MT. Cannot pass it by. The big blue skies are great, aren't they.

Keep up the good work.

Calgary Ken C.