Thursday, June 16, 2022





Getting Ready to Go

June 16, 2022

After four years the departure date has finally arrived.  It is hard to believe that four years ago today I was sitting here getting ready to head out on my fifth coast to coast bicycle trip.  Now four years later here I am ready to depart on my sixth coast to coast bicycle ride.  I don’t think they are getting any easier. 

I don’t think I feel any more confident today than I did on my first trip.  I have a bunch more pre-trip training; in fact I have a lot more miles on my bike than I have had for any of the previous trips.  I have ridden three century rides which is three more than any of the other coast to coast rides.  I have a new bike which has lower gearing than the old Giant which served on four previous coast to coast rides.  I have packed and repacked my bags at least ten times.  Taken some stuff out and then repacked and added almost exactly the same stuff back in.   I am going to be seeing and meeting up with a lot of folks with whom I have ridden before.   Of course I am now four years older and age plays a huge part in how the trip goes.  I have always thought that weather was the major factor but now I think it is really age. 

Tomorrow I am headed down to Abbotsford with my neighbor Barry who is coming along with me on this trip.  It will be Barry’s first big bike trip and his first coast to coast bike trip.   His wife is driving us down and we will overnight in Abbotsford and on Saturday morning she will drive us to Everett where we will meet the rest of the tour.  Then on Sunday will be our first ride day. 

While I seem to have a good deal of trepidation I am sure that it is going to be a great trip as I am well prepared, and the northern tier is the best. 

Terry 


 

13 comments:

Jos said...

Terry - wish I could have been there with you again but would have been sagging too much of the way. Wishing you and the other "old times" and safe and fun trip. Say Hi to Greg, Ed and co and I'm going to really enjoy your wonderful blog and photos and reminisce about my C2C! So glad I did it when I did and have great memories! Keep the rubber side down!

Jos

Anonymous said...

Go Terry. You are well prepared.

Anonymous said...

Terry
I wish you the most wonderful adventure ever. Stay safe my friend
Chris

Anonymous said...

Ready, set, go! Looking forward to pacing w u

Anonymous said...

Age is wisdom. You're heading into the tour knowing the unknowns. Terry, you'll do 👍 !! Ted

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful time!

Anonymous said...

Gil Langley(2007 crossroads) here. Looking forward to following adventure.

Colleen Golomski said...

You go Terry. I understand age, but sounds like you have worked your legs. Looking forward to following your journey.

Dereka Smith said...

You are right about age! I am now riding an e-bike on the backest and steepest roads I can find and John is riding his "acoustic" bike on the bike paths in the valley. He will be 77 this week and I am pushing 75 but we are well and happy. Our best to you on our ride.

Earnie said...

Terry,
Wishing you only tailwinds and downhills! You are indeed a force of nature, always pushing forward. The good news is that you have done this before, so you know what to expect; the bad news is that you have done this before, so you know what to expect!! But as you say, you have done more pre-trip cycling than ever before, so I am thinking that will offset the increased age. I look forward to reading about each day’s new adventure.

Later, Earnie

Cynthia Owen-Bergland said...

Hey Terry.. I know you have the miles in your legs. Wishing you tailwinds. Be safe.

Anonymous said...

Enjoy EFI Terry. Safe travels.
Colleen and Gord

Anonymous said...

Safe travels, Terry! You’ll be surrounded by so many folks you already know. Have a great journey. I’m looking forward to following your reports! Julie