Friday, June 24, 2022

Kellogg to Thompson Falls June 24, 2022





Kellogg to Thompson Falls

June 24, 2022

It was chilly last night at only 52F, and getting out of the nice warm sleeping bag and pulling on my riding kit was not a lot of fun.  So I lay in bed until the very last minute.  I had been awake for quite a while as the breakfast cater had set up his grill not far from where I my tent was.  He started cooking about 4:00 am. 

After breakfast I came out and was all set to roll out when I looked down and saw that I had a flat tire. Change it or pump it and roll.  I choose to change it as it was a previously patched tube.  I started wrestling with this incredibly tight tire and Luke who is the youngest guy on the tour came over and said here let me show you how.  He took the tire and squeezed the tire into the center of the rim all the way around.  As this diameter is so much smaller the tire literally fell off the rim. WOW!  Putting it back on was the same process except in reverse.  Teach an old dog new tricks.

I am now the last of the riders to leave camp, although there were a few roof riders hanging about.  Out on the route I was quickly overtaking the slower riders which gave me a chance to catch a bunch of rider photos for the big trailer door college I am planning on making.  Passing riders is also highly motivating.

It was 44 miles of climb to the summit of Thompson Pass, where picnic was.  The first 35 miles were all quite shallow grade of 1-2%.  However the last nine miles averaged around 8-10%.  I think the first 35 miles only took about 1.5 hours and the last 9 miles took 1.5 hours.   

The downhill of 24 miles into  Thompson Fall was great.  The road was perfectly smooth and with no traffic so you could just sail.  The sun had come out and It was a great ride.

Bob had some pretty nasty looking bruises and one particularly ugly on his hip.  So he went into the local clinic and the doctor gave Bob great news.  Nothing but ugly bruises and you are good to go.  Whether or not he can get parts for his bike is yet another story.  He should find that out in a day or so.  Worst case is he rides the tour without the big ring in the front. 

On the Covid front it looks like we now have two additional confirmed cases. I heard a rumor that the first case has decided to go home.  I wouldn’t be surprised if it runs right through everyone on the tour, even though everyone is vaccinated. I have had four shots and there are lots of people here who have had four shots.

A really good day.

Terry 


 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Relieved that Aussie Bob is OK. Wishing you a good ride Saturday and a nice day off in Missoula.

Carry on. Thanks for the blog.

Calgary Ken C.

Anonymous said...

Great scenery. I too learned the hard way about servicing tight rimmed tires. We are not quite yet old dogs. BTW, are you the oldest rider? You did get tough being able to do three mountain centuries.
Scary about the Covid. It is making rounds here with the fully vaccinated. Keep up the good work. Jim H

Anonymous said...

The scenery has been spectacular. I see Jim asked if you are the oldest dude there. Gonna guess you are in the top 5.

Covid rages here. Keep your nose clean and wash those hands.

Good luck for the remainder of the tour.

Mike B

PS Liked the tire changing tip. I will try next flat.