Monday, June 20, 2022








Skykomish to Wenatchee

June 20

We had an early start this morning as luggage was loaded at 6:15 rather than 6:30 and breakfast was on time.  So I was pushing of right at 7:00 am. As I turned on my Garmin I realized that it had failed to charge last night so no Garmin today and no Strava. Not the end of the world.  It wasn’t really raining in the sense that droplets of water were falling out of the sky however the mist was so thick a person almost needed gills to breath.  It was also just above freezing. A perfect day for doing the first of three major climbs on the tour.

It was 16.1 miles to the summit of Steven’s pass. The first 4 or 5 miles were only about 4-5 % but then it started to get steep.  Although I didn’t have my Garmin I think it was probably in the neighborhood of about 8%.  It was a total unrelenting 8% for around 12 miles.  I was really pleased with the performance of the Look 765.  The large 34 rear cassette coupled to the 34 tooth small front ring pulled me straight up to the top.  By the time we got to the top the visibility was down to around 75 feet.  ED was there with the van and I jumped in and put on the heavy duty rain coat, rain booties and the heavy duty water resistant leg warmers.  I was ready for the descent. 

The descent was freezing cold but every mile was a degrees warmer.  Then at about 5 miles from the summit I got a flat.  It was still just above freezing and now I have to change a flat.  Perfect!  A rider stopped to help me and I was so glad of his help as the tire was the tightest tire I have ever encountered.  It took the two of us, 1.5 hours to get the tube changed.  I was absolutely frozen.

Off down the hill and about 15 miles from the summit the sun breaks through and now it is really warming up.   However at mile 40 I got a second flat.  And along come the same fellow who then stops to help me the second time.  This time we got the tire off and the tube changed in 45 minutes.  It was still a wrestle. As a side note he would up helping a change a third tire a little later on.  

Picnic came up at mile 46 and as usual it was great. 

I rolled in at around 4:30 and had a nice hot shower. It was great.  Headed out to set my tent up and as I am doing that a reporter from the local newpaper/radio station appears and wants to interview/video me.  Turns out Greg had sent him out to find me. 

What a day.

Terry 


 

5 comments:

Agnes said...

Tough day. Kudos to the rider that stopped to help you three times!

Anonymous said...

Wow. You met the Cascades challenge - wet, cold, and flats. You are tough. Keep warm and have a good sleep. Hotter than hell in PHX. Jim H

Anonymous said...

Is there ever sunshine at Stevens Pass? The rim and tire combination must be why it took so long to change a tube; usually a ten minute task. Hopefully you get all the flats over with in the early days of the tour. Keep up the good work.

Calgary Ken C.

Anonymous said...

Hey Terry, congratulations on a great start - to the ride blog that is! 2016 I helped you with a flat 2/3s of the way up Stephen’s Pass - we wrestled with your tire then too! A real sense of deja vu as the cops were looking for you in 2016 somewhere in the mid-West, so the Feds must be on your case by now!

Enjoy the 1:1 gear ratio. Keep the rubber side down

Jos

Anonymous said...

Gatorskins