Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Lincoln to Townsend June 28 2022




Lincoln to Townsend

June 28 2022

The day was going to be a long hard day at 91 miles and 3900 feet of climb.  In addition, we were to be treated to 3 miles of road construction where there was no pavement. Adding to that there were forecasts of severe head winds and thunder showers.

I got out early and the first part of the road from Lincoln down to Helena was a very nice route.  It just flew by and I never took as single photo other than a few rider photos.  So there I was 55 miles in and I was thinking I might just take a sag in.  The mechanic comes and says he has time to put a new chain on my bike.  How long?  15 minutes. Sounds great. Ed come by and says he is ready to go but has to detour back to pick up the water coolers.  I decide I will have the chain put on and then Ed can pick me up along the road. 

Down the road and I get to the construction.  It is 3 miles of the roughest road I have ever ridden. Nothing but one pothole beside each other.  There is loose gravel along the side and two-way traffic. The dust is so thick you can’t breathe and the traffic is right on you. A mile in my shoulders and arms are aching but I make it through.

The head winds have come up and are just howling into my face.  Only 20 miles to go.  I can see the thunder heads coming over the mountains and flashes of lighting.  Finally, I am in, but I can see that there is a thunder head bearing down on the camp.  We are staying in the city park as the school is being renovated.  I grab my tent and start putting it up.  I am putting the last four tent pegs in when the first of the big drops start. Last to pegs and it is starting to pelt down really hard. I dive into my tent.  The storm only lasts five minutes but half a dozen tents are flattened, the porta a potty blown over, a couple of trees down and a lot of branches. The rain comes through shelter and drowns the luggage. Mine was in my tent so it was ok. 

The showers are in the town swimming pool and are absolutely terrible.   I am exhausted but go for a beer with Ken and Kevin.

More people are infected with covid.

What a day.

Terry  


 

4 comments:

Agnes said...

Another day done, glad no one was hurt when the trees came down. Ride safe.

Cynthia Owen-Bergland said...

Sounds like you were lucky to escape in a lot if ways. Good karma. Hang in there!

Earnie said...

Good to see Aussie Bob back in the saddle, at least I think it is him! You say more folks have Covid, how are they being handled? Are they just being left behind? In 2014. The killer headwind was out of Ennis. Hope you have more moderate breezes going in to West Yellowstone.
Later,
Earnie

Anonymous said...

I think we were threatened with thunderstorms out of Helena in 2014 too. Nothing is ever easy.

Calgary Ken C.