Thursday, July 17, 2008

First Run in a while

Day 47 Kirklareli Rest Day


We are just 200 kms out of Istanbul. Three short ride days. This has been an unbelievable journey for me and I still cannot really get my head around all the different things that I have seen over the last 7 weeks.

But that isn’t what you want to hear. You want to know what is going on. Ok this morning I got up and went for a run. I hadn’t run since my crash a few weeks ago so this was kind of a test. It worked out ok and although I felt stiff it was good to get out and do it. When I put my water bottle belt of it confirmed that I have lost a fair amount of weight on this trip as I had to take it in about 1.5 inches.

The town is very different from Bulgaria where it is much more open. No liquor in the sidewalk cafes. Women are very conservatively dressed. Buildings look much poorer. The vehicles on the road are much older and much poorer condition. There is a much bigger police and military presence. The military base which is along side of the main pedestrian mall has lots of signs saying no photographs. There are guards with machine guns in front of the police station and military buildings. Beer and wine is much more expensive and on par with Canadian prices.

However the Baklava is very inexpensive and is just dripping with honey. Speaking of which I think I better go get some more.

See you all soon

Thanks for visiting my blog and thanks for your comments.

Terry

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry,

Your trip is almost over. Our XC is sounding tame compared to your tour. You have really had some experiences that you'll never forget. I'm still trying to get my feet back on the ground. My Surly is stripped down as I am rebuilding it. I want to see what the bearings look like after the XC - water etc. My seat tube is quite rusty. I'm doing a 25 mile ride about every other day on my single-speed mt bike. I do feel stronger on my regular training loop than I did before the XC.

Best wishes for your last days of your tour,

Bob (Iowa)

Anonymous said...

Down to the home stretch . . . sounds like no new injuries, other than pride, from your muddy tumble. Good thing. I hope you can get some good pictures in Turkey, take care, ride safe; I'll see you at the airport soon!!!!

Agnes

Tom Erceg said...

Wow Terry, what an amazing trip. You seem to have a cast iron stomach. All those random animal organs would gag me!