Thursday, May 25, 2023










Rest Day Magdeburg

May 25

After enjoying a great breakfast in the hotel. The apple pie for breakfast was great I am going to have to do that again.  Bob and I saw down to confer of the best route for tomorrows ride.  And it does look like a great ride with lots of path ways and very favourable weather forecast.  A high of 16C with a 15-25 km tail wind.  

Ken and the rest of the crew headed off to find a laundry (which turned out to be dry cleaner).  I headed off  for a walking tour of the city.  Magdeburg is a city of 200,000 but has a very small area.  From our hotel in the city center a person can easily walk to all of the downtown sites.  I noted that the tourist map had three cathedrals and lots of walking paths.  It is really a city of diversity from ultra modern buildings to art deco Gaudi style buildings to 13th century cathedrals.  In addition every corner has a piece of sculpture on it.  It was a beautiful day for a walk and I really enjoyed ambling along taking in the sites of a very beautiful city.

Upon arriving back at the hotel I found Ken and we headed down to the bike locker room to clean our bikes.  My bike was just covered in sand and grit from all of the unpaved trails we have been down.  I had stopped in a local Woolworth store and bought some cleaning cloths which made the job a lot easier.  

Yesterday I wanted to have a few drinks in the hotel room so I found a grocery store which is just across the street.  I picked up a bag of nuts, a large coke, a package of crackers and a bottle of what I thought was apple juice.  Back in the hotel, I poured myself a generous glass full of apple juice.  I nearly gagged as it turned out to be apple cider vinegar.   

After bike cleaning Ken and I picked up a few items in the grocery store and had a picnic lunch back in our room. 

Ken headed off for a walking tour and I enjoyed a very nice snooze.  

What a great lay over day.

Terry 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Early morning fog gave way to a sunny and pleasantly warm afternoon for doing chores and siteseeing. Walked along the Elbe and wandered into the train station and watched several trains arrive and depart. Some electric, some diesel. Megdeburg seems to be a clean and well kept city.

Calgary Ken C.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great down day! Your photos are beautiful. What a great spot in Germany. Thanks for sharing your journey!! Julie& Ed