Wednesday, May 17, 2023

 Hamburg Germany    

May 17 2023

No pictures today I am just too exhausted to download my camera and post pictures.   Instead let me fill you in on the journey which started in Kelowna on the evening of May 12.  Yes 5 days to get to Hamburg from Kelowna.

I left Kelowna with high hopes of a nice uneventful trip but it didn't quite turn out that way.  In the evening Agnes dropped me and my bike off in Kelowna airport.  The 60 minute flight to Calgary was totally uneventful and apart from landing at the extreme far end of the airport from where luggage came out things went fine. In fact my bike was waiting for me by time I made the 20 minute walk. Ken picked me up at the airport and I enjoyed two days of wonderful hospitality at Ken's place.  

On  Monday May 15 Ken C and I were dropped off by his wife Sally.  A zero problem bike checking and we were off on the first leg of the journey, with our bikes checked through to Hamburg.  It was a pretty smooth flight on a newer Air Canada Dreamliner to Frankfurt.  Although there was no jet way and we had to transfer to the terminal in the rain on a bus.  We found our way to the gate for the flight to Hamburg.  with no problems.  It was a three hour layover and we made it in just under an hour so lots of time. About 10 minutes before the flight leaves it is cancelled.  We head over to the help deskbut there are thousands in the line up so I left ken in that line and I ran out of security to the main help desk but there was an even longer line.  I tried one of the self check in machines and of course it didn't work but I got a lady to help me and she directed me over to another lady who was on baggage drop.  She booked me on a flight to Stockholm with a connection to Hamburg.  It left in 20 minutes so I had to clear security, collect ken and run the entire length of the terminal to get to the flight.  When we got there there was no flight crew so the  flight is delayed.  We  only have a 90 minute window in Stockholm and as that closes there is no use flying to Stockholm.  However Lufthansa has rebooked us they will not rebook us on a different flight and they say that all the Frankfurt to Hamburg flights have ten people deep on the wait list.  

Once we get to Stockholm we are rebooked to fly to Munich at 6:00 in the morning and from there to Hamburg.    They did give us very nice rooms for the night in the airport hotel.  The flights went off pretty smooth and we arrived in Hamburg around noon.  

Ken has a smart tag in his bike box and it was in Stockholm this morning and a at 5:00 pm it was pinged back in Frankfurt.  

We have been on a lot of flights since Monday and stood in a lot of lines.  Through all of this I have to say everyone has been so helpful and friendly.  

Lesson learned take the train from Frankfurt.  Its only 5 hours.\

Terry 




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Experiencing the many joys of international air travel. Also confirm that people really do want to help you out. We've also chatted with interesting people in various queues and airplane seat mates. It's been an adventure already. Thanks for doing the blog.

Calgary Ken C.

Anonymous said...

I have traveled enough internationally to fully empathize with both of you. It is the uncertainty that wears you out. But, as they say, all is well that ends well. Glad you are there and have a couple of admin days before the bike ride begins. But, you left us with Ken's bike still in Frankfurt. Has it ever arrived? Concur with Ken's comment, thanks for doing the blog, I will enjoy following you all.
Earnie

Anonymous said...

Hi Terry. A real frustrating adventure try to make it to Hamburg. Glad to you finally arrived, although exhausted.