Saturday, June 23, 2018

June 23, 2018 Thompson Falls to Missoula






I think it started raining around 1:30 am this morning.  I turned over and tried to ignore it but it didn’t stop, in fact it just kept getting heavier and heavier.  By 5:00 Am the alarm went off and I had to do something.  Normally by that time it is full light but this morning I had to hang my little LED lantern in the tent to see as it was still dark.  The present situation required a total rethink of everything I had laid out for the morning.  Different shorts, now I need leggings and arm warmers, plus I need all of my rain gear.  Ok figure out which compression bag these items are in and get them out.  You know that meant opening every bag.   There is really nothing to compare with rolling up your tent in the pouring rain. 
Breakfast was just down the road so we pedalled off to breakfast.  It was being served up by the same fellow, who had provided our supper last night, which I might add was probably the best one so far.  It was hearty breakfast burritos which was a nice change from the breakfast casserole we have been served.
The low hanging clouds filled the valley and mist lay in every hollow. It was only around 60 F so it took a while to get rolling. With 105 miles to cover it was going to take a while.  The road was well worn with two distinct wheel ruts, a center swale and a high spot on either side. The wheel ruts were filled with water so that every vehicle which passed you gave you a good spray of ice cold water, and when a semi-truck went by it was like having a 10 gallon bucket of ice water pitched on your back.   The shoulder was variable but mostly about 3 feet with a set of rumble strips down the middle making most of it un-rideable.  What was rideable was large stone chip seal which had not been swept in a very long time.  I was taking my chances riding to the left of the white line. 
By time I got to first water at the 20 mile mark it was miserable.  By time I got to the 40 mile mark and second water Greg was sitting there in the van picking up cyclists.  I had really wanted to ride to picnic at 57 miles but there he was so it took me only a few seconds to hit the van.  Warm and dry versus cold and wet. A tough choose!  Plus getting in the van with Greg means a direct ride to camp.  Unfortunately that also means you have to help unload luggage.   And I thought my bags were heavy. 
Well it is the end of  week one and we have a rest day tomorrow in the Missoula University dorm.  This ends the toughest week of over 600 miles. Next week is easy by comparison.  Two nights in a dorm and hopefully the rain clears off.  
Off to find a local brew and a steak.
Terry hot biker

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Probably a good decision. You already have demonstrated your ability to ride all day in the rain, West Yellowstone, MT to Ashton, ID in 2014, so there was no need to do it again. Have fun in Missoula as a guest of the University of Montana Grizzlies!
Later,
Earnie

Jim said...

My hero, managing to ride 40 miles in the rain! Tough! Your pictures capture the wet. Don’t see any bikes.
Looks like sunny days ahead. Enjoy😊

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on finishing week #1, the longest distance and greatest climbing week of the tour!! Hope the weather next week will be more moderate; not too hot or too wet.

Enjoy Missoula.

Canada Ken C.

Pino said...

Wishing you sun, fair winds and better roads on the second leg. Enjoy your day off!

Gail said...

Wow, look at all the FUN you have had so far in the first 600 miles. The forecast looks better so enjoy the day off, the beer and drying out. You are doing a fantastic job. Love your Blog! Glad it is you doing the riding and me doing the reading. You are amazing.

Judy Teague said...

Hi Terry,
Congratulations on finishing the first and hardest week.
Safe travels 🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️🚴‍♂️
Judy