Thursday, September 7, 2017

Sept 7 2017 Tour of Obidos































This morning was a sleep in morning as we were taking a rest day from cycling.  So I slept in.  However the Marine Corp Marathon is not all that far off and it is well past high time I got my running tuned up.  Last time I did any running was May 29 when Mike B and I ran the Ottawa marathon.  So I pulled on a pair of running shorts and strapped on my Garmin and was off down the road.   Almost immediately I was experienced of stabbing pains in my chest,  legs, feet, arms and well just about everywhere.  As a struggled to the other side of the street, the pains started to subside.  By the time I had run about a hundred yards the pain had mostly subsided.  Fortunately is was mostly downhill.  I continued along the road and started down the path beside the lagoon.  It was actually very pretty and by the 25 minute mark when it was time to turn around things were looking good.   A few more runs and who knows I might actually make the time cut off. 
In the afternoon Liam drove us into Obidos.  Obidos is an enchanting hilltop village which is surrounded by 14th century walls. The town is huge magnet for tour buses and the main street which is less than 10 feet wide is alive with tourists and souvenir shops.  The shops are hawking souvenirs with a Portugese twist.  Blue tiles, and pottery and sour cherry liqueur served in chocolate cups.    Within the walls is the 1143 castle which was constructed after the defeat of the Moors.   We stopped and had a beer and sandwich in the town square.  It was an excellent afternoon walking along and taking in the atmosphere.  
Tomorrow is off to Lisbon to do a hop on hop off bus tour. 
Terry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just catching up on the blog; sounds like another good adventure. Enjoy your cycling day-off.

Ken C.

Gail said...

Always enjoy the rest day - lovely time to take photos, which of course you did. Great looking castle and happy that you are having what appears to be lovely weather.