Saturday, September 16, 2017

Sept 16 2017 Rest day










After yesterday’s big ride we needed a rest day.   Liam has jam packed the trip with great stuff to see and fun places to visit so a rest day was a very welcome thing indeed. 
Sleeping in was the order of the day and I took this seriously. Very seldom am I the last out of bed however I managed to be the last up this morning.   I woke up at 5:05 AM looked at the time and turned over not to hear anything until 8:45AM.
Liam was up and off into town to get a haircut and everyone else had eaten breakfast by the time I got up.  
 After breakfast I got the bikes out and cleaned the chains on Liam’s bike and the one I am riding.  Liam had this bike overhauled just before I got here so it had new cables on it and they had stretched a little bit and it was not shifting very well.  This bike is a Giant with a triple front crank and a nine speed rear cassette which is a very similar bike to my Giant which I keep in Canada.   My Giant has a lot of miles on it and I have a good knowledge of how to make it shift perfectly.  So after cleaning I put the bike on the stand and a few twists of the adjustment barrel and it was running much better.  A quick sprint up a few of the hills around the neighborhood showed me that in fact it was shifting perfectly. 
Liam got back and the two of us headed off to visit some of the local bike shops.   I did see a helmet for only 9 euros which I was tempted to buy but it was black and I don’t like black helmets as I don’t think they are visible.  There was a very nice pair of bib shorts for 25 Euros but I don’t really need another pair.  However it is always fun to poke around bike shops. 
Back home it was time for an afternoon nap. 
Nothing like being lazy once in a while.
I didn’t take any pictures to day so the pictures are of other days.
Terry   

1 comment:

On The Road - Bob and Gail said...

A perfect rest day, sleep late, clean the bikes and wander around. Cap it all off with a nap and you are ready to go!