Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Aug 19 Great Divide Ride

I was up at 5:45 this morning and it was cold in the tent.  I am not use to crawling out into 40F temperatures.  However I needed to get my act together and get down to the border to meet the bike crew coming up from Denver. 

I quickly broke camp and packed my gear into the car and jumped on my mtn bike. It was 37 kms down to the border and the bike has no computer so and I had never ridden this bike so I had no idea how long it would take.  It was a strange ride bouncing along on the great big 2.1 inch tires inflated to 50 psi.   The first few kms I felt like I was over steering all the time.  However  by time I hit the 18 km sign post I had it figured out. 

It took me 110 minutes to cover the 37 kms.  So I made pretty good time and I was sitting in the Canadian Customs office by 8:30 Am.   By 11:45 the customs guys came out and told me that I couldn’t wait any longer in their office.  So I jumped back on my bike and rode back to Elko.  I made the return trip in 97 minutes and it was into the wind. 

From the camp ground I phoned and talked to the guys on the ride and found out they would not be at the border until after 3:00 Pm.   This time I drove my car and waited at the border.  They got in at 3:15 Pm. 

From there we drove up to Banff.    Arriving in Banff at 8:45.  A really long day.

I think the Penske I am driving has a serious problem. 


Terry 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

75 km on a mountain bike with knobby tires at 50 psi is a pretty good ride, even if it is on pavement. Keep up the good work.

Ken C.