Sunday, September 3, 2023

Camino Primitivo - Oveido







Oveido Spain

September 3 2023

I got into Oveido  yesterday afternoon after a long flight from Kelowna which actually started on September 1.  So here I am at the airport and after a very fast cab right which was 52 kms I am at the hotel.  Jumping out of the cab as I step into the hotel lobby there is my good friend Maureen.  Is it ever good to see here. I am in the ride place.  Maureen and her friends from Edmonton arrived on September 1 and have already been around town and even better have gotten Camino Passports for Bob and I.  Bob has been delayed but in coming in on the 9:00 pm flight.  Great news everyone is here and ready to roll.

This morning were had breakfast in the hotel lobby and discussed our up coming adventure. Looks like I am the only one who did not pack walking poles.  Hopefully this will not be a problem. I tried to get a pair today but as it is Sunday everything is closed.  Even the stamping of passports in the churches and the selling of passports is closed so really good that Maureen had already pick them up.  After breakfast we all went for a walk  to explore the route out of town.  It took quite a bit of doing and Maureen ran off in a different direction but we all did find the way out of town.  It is always the first mile out of town and the last mile to the hotel which are the biggest navigational challenges.

I would like to hang around to buy a set of poles and get my passport stamped in the Oveido cathedral but nothing opens until 10:00 am, and it is one of the longer days on the pilgrimage.   Plus we have to take a shuttle to the hotel which probably adds another 30-45 minutes to the day.  So the better plan of action is to get on the road at 8:00 am and hope for the best.  Hope is a great strategy.

It is really exciting to be starting this pilgrimage which is one of the more difficult Caminos.  We have a great crew.  My good friend Aussie Bob from Sydney, Maureen from Edmonton and long time friend, and running and cycling friend and three of Maureen's long standing friends.

Terry 

4 comments:

Agnes said...

Glad the whole crew is assembled. Have a great start to your walk tomorrow! Safe rambles!

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to following the blog. Thanks for doing that. Best wishes for a great walk.

Canada Ken C.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you made it and off on the pilgrimage. It will no doubt be a lifetime event. Enjoy!
Arizona Jim

Milly said...

Hi Terry…
I started the Camino at this church, too…
Recd my compostellae on 27 Sept 2010..
Wishing you memorable days… Milly