Wednesday, April 22, 2009
















Florida Bike Safari Day 5

It was colder this morning when we started out. During the night it had rained and although the roads were dry it took a lot of the heat out of the system. Now when I say colder, it is a relative thing. It was probably low 60’s so it wasn’t really all that cold. The ride was only going to be 56 miles so Don and I had decided that today would be a tour the country side day. Nice and easy ride.

The first SAG stop was in Madison of Madison County fame. It is a very historic town with lots of statues, monuments, historic homes, and a quaint band stand where the SAG was. I wandered around snapping pictures of the fountains in the little park there and reading the historic plaques. Don and I then headed down Main Street and found a café where we enjoyed a French Vanilla Cappuccino. Just on the edge of town we stopped to take a took a picture of a huge steam engine which was in a cotton mill in Madison. It was rated at 500 hp which must have been unbelievable in its day.

The sun was shining with hardly a cloud in the sky. Even better was there wasn’t a whisper of a breeze in the air. So we just sailed along. What a change from the head winds we seem to have had all week long. I had my bike camera mounted on the handle bars to day and took 1059 pictures. The camera was set to take a picture every 5 seconds so I managed to capture the first 88 minutes of the three hour ride. I had thought that I should set the camera to video mode, and then push the bike down a steep ditch and then post the video as part of the blog. Make everyone think I had lost it and rode into the ditch. Don didn’t think it was such a cool idea. Sometimes as you are riding along you get ideas that may not be necessarily the best ideas. Some ideas are best left as ideas.

Tonight is the big blow out party. There is going to be boiled corn on the cob, draft beer, and barbeque ribs. The smoker has been set up for two days cooking these ribs, the smell is driving me crazy. Some of the repeat riders claim that the ribs are the best reason to come on the ride. I am really looking forward to this feed. I have avoided eating since the last SAG stop so I am starving.

Terry

3 comments:

Jim said...

Hey Terry,

More great pics. I feel like I am riding along with ya. One thing I noticed in all the pictures is the horizon is all trees. I am used to big vistas.

I went out today and did a 50 miler in 90 deg temps. It was wonderful! I think I am ready to go for the St George century on Sat...except it is suposed to be quite windy on Friday.

Hey, the party of beer, corn and ribs sounds wonderful! Have an extra beer for me.

Jim

Jurg said...

Hi Terry

Have an extra beer for me too (in addition to the one for Jim!).

I am surprised that out of these 1059 pics there is not one where you ride behind a young lady ;-)

Be assured that I forgive you for the miscounting (4th 3rd day). Cyclists have never been famous for counting ;-)
Coninue enjoing Jurg

Jurg said...

Hi Terry

Have an extra beer for me too (in addition to the one for Jim!).

I am surprised that out of these 1059 pics there is not one where you ride behind a young lady ;-)

Be assured that I forgive you for the miscounting (4th 3rd day). Cyclists have never been famous for counting ;-)
Coninue enjoing Jurg