Sunday, September 23, 2018

September 23, 2018 Saint Quentin to Reims








A totally unbelievable day but not in a really good way.  The ride was 107.8 with a climb of 710 meters.  This morning it was dark gray and threatening rain as we ate breakfast and loaded the van, however as soon as we got on the bikes the down pour started.   The hotel was on the very north end of Saint Quentin and we had to ride all the way across a very busy city.  Fortunately it was a Sunday and there was very little traffic.
As we go to the south side of Saint Quentin we came to the French Monument to the French Soldiers lost in the battles of the Somme.  It is a very large gate type of monument with a tableau across the top. It is set in a very pretty park along the river.  As it was totally pouring rain we only stopped for a few moments to read the inscriptions and take a few pictures.
Once we were on the road the rain persisted for several kms before it gave way to a little drizzle and finally stopping, however as the rain stopped the wind out of the south picked up and I mean picked up.  The only breaks from the wind were as a person went into a group of trees.   As the day wore on the wind shifted from the south to the south west which meant that on some of the jogs you had a quartering head wind followed by a quartering tail wind.  The tail winds were great but the head winds were so strong that even in the lowest gear a person could hardly make 12 kms/hr.  
All the wind from the day had dried me off and even my shoes were pretty close to dry.   At the 85 kms mark we turned on to a canal path which was really great as we were out of the wind most of the time and the tail wind was blowing down the canal.  It was looking like we were going to be blown straight into Reims.  Unfortunately this was not to be.  At the 95 kms point the canal path went from paved to a grassy trail.  The Garmin showed 4.5 kms of unpaved trail.  Then the rain started again light at first and as we rode down the trail it got slipperier and slipperier.  I spun out and went down in the grass.  Fortunately I was going slow and the grass broke my fall.  About 2 kms down the trail the rain turned into a lashing downpour with a terrible howling wind.  We came to a fork were you could go down this muddy road beside a field or continue down the canal path. I choose the muddy road.  Juerg and Ken followed me but Juerg went down in the muddy road and they turned back to the canal path.  I pressed on however the wind and rain were coming so hard I could only make a few kms an hour.  I took forever to reach the cross road where we turned to enter Reims.  By now I am totally soaked. My shoes are filled to overflowing and the rain has run down my neck and filled the sleeves of my rain coat.   
As I rode down the road to enter Reims the rain started to let up.  The wind was still just howling and at this point a terrible cross wind.   As I passed a cross street a black plastic bag whipped up and covered my face. I was totally blinded.  I could not get it off as the wind had it plastered to my face.  I was in the middle of traffic and jammed on the brakes hopping not to get hit.  I got a foot down and ripped the bag off my face.  This was maybe the scariest thing which as ever happened to me.  
A few minutes later I rolled down the street to where the hotel is.  The van was parked right in front of the hotel so I knew I was in the right place.  Juerg and Ken showed up about 6 minutes later.  Earnie came in about an hour after that.  I don’t think he had a very good day as he seemed pretty upset at supper.  
We walked past the Reims cathedral on our way to supper.  Agnes and the ladies visit it today.  I stuck my head in for a quick look.  It is magnificent.  All of the French kings were crowned in this cathedral.  It dates back to 400 AD. It was heavily damaged during the war but has been totally rebuilt.  
Tomorrow is a 125 kms day fortunately the rain is done and the wind has shifted to the north but will still be a quartering head wind. 
Terry hot biker


2 comments:

Jim said...

Wow. This is high adventure - howling wind , lashing downpour, slippery mud, and blinding garbage bags. This is a day to remember and you proved you are a true survivor. Way to go!
Nice pictures too, but it doesn’t sound like you did much touring. Congrats

Merrilynne said...

Great stories and photos Terry...keep the rubber on the road!