Sunday, September 16, 2018

September 16, 2018 Le Treport to Le Touquet









Today’s ride was 81 kms with only 168 meters of climb.   There was only one little climb of about 100 meters as we climbed out to the Le Treport harbour to the escarpment opposite the harbour and then after a few kms across the top of the escarpment a decent to some salt water marsh area and on into Le Touquet. 

As we had a relatively easy day there was no hurray so after a leisurely breakfast we loaded the van and started off.   We made our way to the downtown harbour area of Le Treport and found ourselves in the start of a half marathon race. The place was packed with people and there was a lot of excitement in the air.  Not wanting to get caught up in the crowds we worked our way across the lock system which controls the inner harbour water level and we were off. 

The climb was no big deal and when we go to the top Earnie’s Garmin went out.  I tried and number of different resets and nothing worked.  It had the course blue line and map but no navigation.  Finally I gave Earnie my Garmin and took his.  I rode with Ken and we relied on his navigation even though I did have a blue line to follow and the map so it wasn’t totally out.  I think that it had not properly sync’ed with the course.  This may have been that I created the course on a Microsoft machine and Earnie loaded it from a Mac.  None of his courses had the names loaded into the Garmin.  To remedy this I deleted all the courses and re-loaded them from my laptop. 

We caught up with Juerg having lunch in a church yard so Ken and I stopped and got some pastries and joined him.   With only 30 kms to go and no hills to climb it didn’t take long to get into Le Touquet. 

There had been an airshow on in the morning and the place was jammed with people.  Agnes had done a marvelous job of getting the van into town and getting it parked.  We decided to move it closer to the hotel and found a place only a block away.  The van may have a slow leak in the rear driver side tire as the sensor said it was low.  It doesn’t really look low but we will have to have it looked at in the morning. 

Tomorrow is a short ride day of only 73 kms into Calais however the climb is set at 515 meters so it will be a lot of ups and downs as we follow the coast line. 

Terry hot biker

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terry was my knight in shining armor, taking on trying to get my Garmin to work properly. While some of my previous problems might have been operator error, I did not think all of them were. Using Terry's Garmin for the day dropped my stress level to about a .05, compared to having it pegged every day trying to use the Garmin. I don't like them in the first place and having it malfunction just sucked the energy out of me. So, a HUGE thank you to Terry and a regular sized one for Ken as he stayed with Terry and guided him along the route.
Later,
Earnie