Friday, August 17, 2018

August 17, 2018 Fryeburg to Durham








 
Last night was presentation of the plaques night.  Greg took the riders and staff who were completing a coast to coast tour to the bleachers in the fairgrounds where we are staying to hand out the completion plaques. It is always a fun evening of storytelling and reminiscing of the good and bad of the trip.  After a lengthy intro the handing out of the plaques commenced.  The first couple of people to receive plaques took it upon themselves to thank just about everyone from the staff and fellow riders to their mother and father, to the bicycle manufacturer, to their favourite butcher and just about everyone else.  This set the tone of the evening as everyone then had to have a go a thanking and prognosticating on their trip. To say that it was more than a little drawn out be an understatement.  I was the very last to receive a plaque so everyone had been thanked at least 20 plus times, so I simply took my plaque and muttered something about another one for the wall of shame. 

Today’s ride was 86 miles and 3200 feet of climb, and wandered between Maine and New Hampshire.  It was also the worst ride of the tour.  Ed, Bob and I got out of breakfast in good time and started down the road.  The road in front of the fairgrounds was horribly rough and pot holed, with no shoulder and busy traffic.  I was so glad to turn off of it in only a few miles.  The road was not busy however if it was possible even rougher.  There were huge 6-10 in wide cracks which were 3-6 inches deep.  There were a thousand turns left and right and even though we were on different roads they were all just plain terrible.  The road also had a tremendous number of really steep pitches. Although none of them were long they were all so steep you had to get into your very lowest gear to crest them. 

As the morning wore on the traffic increased exponentially.  By 10:00 am we have covered 30 miles and the traffic is just over whelming.  In addition it seemed like the traffic was coming closer and closer.  There was at least 4-5 times when a vehicle was with a foot of my handle bars.  It was really scary especially when you were grinding up a really steep pitch as the vehicles could not see over the crest of the hill and flew so close to you.

The highlight of the morning was passing the spot where in 2010 I caught Patrick D and scared him by giving him a big bark.  Patrick loved it and bought me a coke at the gas station across from picnic.  It was a great memory.

Picnic came up at the 46 mile mark and Jim had made pizza for lunch which was a really nice change of pace. 

After picnic the wind had picked up considerable and was now blowing straight into our face.  While not a big factor it was just another annoyance.   By time we reached the 52 mile mark I could not stand the rough road anymore and when Bob and I spotted Hwy 16 with a big wide smooth shoulder we took it. 

About 9 miles further down we couldn’t stand highway 16 which was bumper to bumper traffic going 75 mph so we jumped back on the route.  So here we were back on the busy rough road with wind in our face.  I had had so many close calls with vehicle that my nerves were totally shot.  By time we got to the 63 mile mark the van came by and I got in it.  I just wanted to get through the day in one piece.

Upon arriving at the school I took a picture of the last arrow that Ed had painted on the road. He claims that this will be his last arrow ever.  However I am somewhat skeptical as I am sure that when he gets the call in 2020 to come and be a router he will answer the call. 
Terry hot biker 





















4 comments:

Jos said...

Hey Terry, Rotten roads, heavy traffic, steep hills, hot weather...gallons, of cider, mountains of ice cream, buckets of coffee... I'm not sure I can take much more of this... Why don't you call it a day after tomorrow, ride to the Coast and pack up your tent and get outta there!

It's been a magic ride again through your blog across the country, and I just love your stunning photos and expressive narrative - it helps me recall our adventures from our 2014 C2C tour (from the safety of my armchair!)

I'm sure Ed's got more yellow arrows in him yet, and we'll see Bob, Ken, and others on subsequent rides (maybe the Fort Wayne classic that you've been planning for some time, or even the Italian Lakes...).

Best wishes for a fun, strong, safe finish and celebrating this significant achievement!

Here's looking at the next ride together! (you'll be ready again for C2C 2020?)
PS Greetings to all my fellow blog travelers!

Anonymous said...

You're now getting to the heavily populated east coast, so the traffic picks up considerably. Enjoy tomorrow, ride safely.

Please pass on my congratulations and best regards to Ed, Ken T., Vicky, Matt, Aussie Bob, Martin & Beth, TD Greg and any other repeats from our 2014 C2C tour.

Keep up the good work!!

Canada Ken C.

Jurg said...

Terry, we need you back in one piece! You took the right decision.
Congratulation for your plaque which is well deserved!
Take it easy on the last day and enjoy.
Jürg

Pino said...

Hey Terry .. your description of the roads and traffic in New Hampshire are exactly how I remember it.. which is why I swore I never want to ride in New England again. Big congratulations on completing the ride and I know you are looking forward to home sweet home!
Cheers
Cynthia